3rd grade math/fraction bars
    Merewyn-Anadori is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 3rd grade math/fraction bars

Fraction bars are necessary to complete Activity 34171 in level three math. Where can I find those?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Here are some really nice ones. You can print them on cardstock, but it's not necessary. They'll work just fine printed on paper. Or, print on paper and cover with clear Con-tac.

They aren't entirely necessary, but they do make it easier for most kids to be able to "see" the fractions.

http://www.ourlosbanos.com/homeschool/p ... sblues.pdf

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Fraction Bars

Thank you Kelly, this is exactly what I was looking for. I also e-mailed our library homework help reference section and am looking forwarded to seeing what they find.

I disagree with you, however, about whether or not they are necessary. As I said in my original post they are necessary. In fact, the instructions for the worksheet I mentioned specifically instructs to use fraction bars to help.

That is the correct instruction. There is not sufficient practice within the lesson to support the ordering of fractions with different denominators without the fraction bars.

Perhaps this could be added to the math tools?

Thank you,
    Merewyn-Anadori

Blog Entries

Oh, I wasn't looking at the worksheet. I just looked at the animated lesson. I'll have to take a peek at the worksheet. I have a child using that level math this year myself.

Unfortunately, Time4Learning is not the developer of the curriculum, so they are unable to do things such as add items to the tool kit. Time4Learning has purchased a license from Compass Learning (who only services schools) to offer the curriculum to individual users.

Poking around online, I also found lot of interactive fraction bars to use right online. Those might be fun. You can find some with a Google search.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Fraction Bars

Well, I certainly appreciate your diligence looking into my question and providing these for us. I think you will find, as I did, that some supplemental worksheets and the fraction bars will be necessary for complete mastery of ordering fractions with unlike denominators.

BTW&FYI - Did you notice that the time and date on your reply turned over to Sat Sept 15, 12:23am? I can see that that is EST and will have to look back and see if they were all on EST.

Blog Entries

I just looked at the printable resource that goes with that lesson. Yep . . . it says to use fraction bars to figure out the answer.

I liked page three, though! I cut out the circles and put them together as instructed. It's a great visual for fractions. I've never seen one quite like it. It's something I'll probably laminate and keep when we get there.