3rd Grade Science and History
    krisci is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd Grade Science and History

My daughter is in 2nd Grade. We love the lessons. They are fun and she has completed both the science and history portions for the year. So, we decided to move on to 3rd Grade. The lessons are no longer fun. I feel like, for most of it, she might as well just have a textbook. Don't get me wrong. I don't think the lessons need to easier. I just think they could be 'spiced' up a bit

I'd be curious to hear what other parents think of the 3rd Grade history and science lessons.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krisci View Post
    My daughter is in 2nd Grade. We love the lessons. They are fun and she has completed both the science and history portions for the year. So, we decided to move on to 3rd Grade. The lessons are no longer fun. I feel like, for most of it, she might as well just have a textbook. Don't get me wrong. I don't think the lessons need to easier. I just think they could be 'spiced' up a bit

I'd be curious to hear what other parents think of the 3rd Grade history and science lessons.
    I completely understand what you're saying. I felt the way when my oldest was first beginning the older history/science levels. It was so different from the incredible interactive graphics, fun games, etc.., I don't have the perfect answer for you, but I will tell you how our family made the transition. I explained that as they get older their skill set gets a little more difficult because they are becoming more mature. I bought him a spiral notebook and had him take notes as he went along. It didn't make it more fun, but he seemed to really like the idea of being the older, more mature. In addition to that he did even better in his year end test results. I do add library books and netflix movies to go along with our themes when I can and help bring it to life that way. I don't know if this helps you or not, but I wanted you to know that I understood and tell you ways our family worked around it. Blessings........ Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

krisci is offline Junior Member

Mary, thank you so much for your reply. Somebody understands! LOL

My daughter has Dyslexia so the fun lessons have been a huge bonus. The more reading she does, the more quickly we lose her in the lessons. That is why I LOVE Time4Learning this year. We'll see where she is at the end of the year but we may need to find a new solution for her next year.

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

I really like to add movies and clips to enhance the lessons (YouTube, Discovery Education, Netflix) Lapbooks are also a fun way to liven up the lessons.
    The 3rd level definitely requires a new type of learning for the little ones. Reading and comprehending what is read is a learned skill. Natural Reader (text to voice) software is helpful. You can download a free version.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)