4 Tips for "NEW" Users!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 4 Tips for "NEW" Users!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default 4 Tips for "NEW" Users!

I have some friends who just signed up for T4L'ing after reading about it on my blog and I have been e-mailing back and forth with them some of the tips that have worked for my home. It hit me during lunch that I should post them here. These are not right for everyone, but have worked for me in "my" home. (We should start a thread on things we've tried with T4L'ing that didn't work either..., like trying to over complicate it,

1- It REALLY helps when the boys take a break in between each subject.

Since we use different programs for science and social studies we just have them do that, or take the dog for a walk, or make their bed. Something to keep them moving, but rests their eyes and brain.

2- Noise Cancelling Headphones! I got this idea off the special needs board, but WHOA, what a difference it makes. It helps to filter out all outside noise that can interrupt the brain from receiving information as clearly as possible. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $50.00. I blogged about here: http://homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/449398/

3- Staying "close", checking the work everyday. I actually wrote a post a couple of months ago that you can find here: https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598 (this post has some wonderful idea's from other moms as well)

4- Participate in this forum! Don't just read.., ask questions, comment, share your ups and downs. We are better "together". Participating builds community

Ok, I feel better now. These are the things "I" have found to help me in the 6mos we've used T4L'ing! I'm sure other moms have some idea's they can add here too!
    Dizzy Mom and ScubaladyTx like this.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Mary. I agree wholeheartedly, especially to numbers 3 and 4.

How are noise-cancelling headphones different than regular headphones? Off to read your blog!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Kelly, I just realized I posted this on the wrong blog?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

You mean in the wrong forum? Where did you want it posted? I can move it for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    You mean in the wrong forum? Where did you want it posted? I can move it for you.
    Yes, I meant forum. Well this forum is for people considering T4L'ing, I think the post would be more for people [b][i]using it already?

Please don't go through the trouble of moving it I just didn't realize I had posted on the wrong forum.

Blog Entries

Well, SOMEBODY moved it when I wasn't looking.

With the thread located here, maybe others will add their tips.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Well, SOMEBODY moved it when I wasn't looking.

With the thread located here, maybe others will add their tips.
    LOL! Hmmm..., I wonder "who" could have done that? Yes, I hope others will add their tips as well

ccpeterson is offline Member

Thank you Mary. I agree with 'staying close'. I remain close by in case my kids have questions, or just so I can observe them and make sure they are paying attention. Also, when it comes to reading selection, like in the 1st and 2nd grade LA, I make sure the kids have my attention, so they can read the selection out loud to me. That way I KNOW they've read it and didn't just flip through it.
    Also, each time my kids finish, I check their backpack to see what scores they got. If I see a low score, I'll have them repeat that lesson.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

I am very curious!!

How do you take a break between each subject? I cannot imagine it!

Right now, everyone takes their turn one at a time (at the computer) and does ALL their t4l at once. They are even doing SS and Sci for now because I just haven't been able to supplement yet w/ Sonlight.

Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Blog Entries

Jennifer,

I have all 4 do their math first, then their language arts. So We start with the youngest when he's done with math I pull him to something else and child number 2 does their math, when their done I pull them to something else and child #3 does their math. (etc)

We do our chores and written subjects and even some reading a loud in between T4L'ing.

HTH,
    Mary

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast