4 YO in Grade 1?
    nik999 is offline Junior Member

Default 4 YO in Grade 1?

Hi, my 4 1/2 yo ds has just completed the Kindergarten Math on T4L. He's also doing some of his 6yo brother's Level 1 LA. Should I get his own account and put him in grade 1? Or should I wait until he's older. I use the LA Ext and all of the math worksheets for my 6 yo, but the 4 yo doesn't have the fine motor skills for writing yet. I really like using the worksheets for the 6 yo, so I feel like it would be a waste if I put the 4 yo through the grade 1 program w/o doing the writing exercises.

Any suggestions? Maybe the 4 yo could do the level 1 LA lessons, and the math at his own pace (even if it takes 2 yrs) and then when he's ready, he can do the LA ext. writing exercises.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4 YO in Grade 1?

The first grade math is quite a bit more difficult than the kindergarten math. The student should be comfortable with numbers up to 100 before trying first grade math.

You could do language arts the way you mentioned. Is he remembering the phonics sounds? Have you looked at the preschool program?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

nik999 is offline Junior Member

I agree about the math; my 6 yo is halfway through the level, and it is very challenging. My 4 yo is ready to read, so I think I will work through the LA with him and see where that leads us. I don't want to push him, but he's eager to "catch up" to his brother.

Thanks for your input. I think I'll just follow his lead for now and see what happens. I have told him that he doesn't have to do it until he's older, and if he wants to take a break, I'll let him.

We do other hands-on things too, and he enjoys that quite a bit.

mommyshanti is offline Junior Member

yeah i have my 5 year doing the 1st grade la because he already knows sounds and how to read/write simple words(cat,hat ect.)
    but the 1st grade math is alot more difficult than kindy so sticking w/ k math