4th Grade, Social Studies, Scient: Not Learning It
    PaladinTodd is offline Junior Member

Default 4th Grade, Social Studies, Scient: Not Learning It

My fourth grader is reading through the social studies/science section without managing to actually learn anything. When she takes the quizzes and chapter test, she scores in the 50-60% range.

I've had her start taking notes - what's the big idea on this page, what definitions do you need to know - which has helped. Note taking though for a fourth grade seems a bit strange though?

The social studies sections seem to be getting longer as well. 11-20 pages of note taking is taking her a long time to do.

Are your kids learning it on one read through? If not, what are you doing?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

What if you discuss the section orally with your child (as you go or at the end--I would do it as she goes). That would alleviate taking the tests and and notes as well as help you understand if she is having problems understanding the material, just not focusing, or perhaps that she is just not a test taker.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

pricer is offline Junior Member

Default Print it out?

Not sure if this would help, or not, but we print each page of the SS reading out for my son. He needs to walk around, hang upside down, etc. to get through the reading, so even though it can be A LOT of pages of printing, we invest in ink to get the work done. He then writes the answers to the questions by hand onto the printed pages...and then types them when he goes through the activity to complete it on-line...so he's reinforced it quite a bit. [I don't click on the "hand" at the top of the final page, so he has to go through it all himself to officially complete the activity.]

Finallly, I let him use the printouts to look for answers to the quizzes and tests. That way he gets to practice skimming to find an answer.

By the way, T4L allows you to leave a TEST (not a quiz, though) to go find the answer, and then return to that same question when you come back.

lanceallen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinTodd View Post
    My fourth grader is reading through the social studies/science section without managing to actually learn anything. When she takes the quizzes and chapter test, she scores in the 50-60% range.

I've had her start taking notes - what's the big idea on this page, what definitions do you need to know - which has helped. Note taking though for a fourth grade seems a bit strange though?

The social studies sections seem to be getting longer as well. 11-20 pages of note taking is taking her a long time to do.

Are your kids learning it on one read through? If not, what are you doing?

well look,

Ive stumbled on a simple discovery about learning that has transformed learning in ways that create deep understanding instantly
    just by asking 4 simple questions you can easily and teach more effectively and realize your child's learning style...

without confusion and blocks;

before i get off track let me share with you how you can instantly apply these simple yet powerful techniques and how i came across them...

and first who i am
    ive been studying learning techniques, personal development and parent and children physiology now for a few years

now, as you read you'll understand in full detail what learning styles are and how to apply them

* have you ever been watching tv, and you where completely interested, then you look over and
    you say to your kid did you hear that, and they so um no, what? or no why?

*it means that your having completely different thoughts...

and if you stop to think about it your begin to notice its the same with what your reading,

you see as you read your asking your kid "what's the big idea on this page, what definitions do you need to know"

but he/she forgive me maybe thinking what if? or why?

the one thing you must know is there a four main learning styles...

once you begin to notice and apply these your communication ability to teach will double
    when teaching your kid.

you will learn more about his/her style and be able to use it anywhere in any subject;

so tag along as we uncover what i call the " 4 learning styles "

you see every person has a different way of learning, it sounds complex but really its scary,

how simple it is...

now,

i realized like me your a "what" style,

that means you want to know ..."what" is this about or "what" are the definitions, so on

so theirs the first one, people who ask "what" questions...

now,
    there a three more...

the why, the how, and what if...

lets say your child is a what if learner, he/she will say OK...

what can i go do right now physically to get this, the what if are action oriented you'll say lets go do this right now. or what if i move this word etc.

then "why", you'll begin to think why am a learning this or why is he in the book, so on

then "how " want to know the process of things... how do i learn definitions, or how do i memorize this etc.

so simply begin asking the four questions and see which on your child responds to positively,

now that you know what processes your child uses to learn...you can,

just stop, and imagine the times in the future you can use these and begin to let go of stress and look back
    on this technique you've learned and realize you are helping your child learn and realize how great it feel,

love and peace
    lance

PS. if you need more help let me know, but don't bug,
    jk

krisci is offline Junior Member

Although we love math and language arts, we no longer do the science or history. They were just very dry lessons in the upper grades. I wish there was a way to jazz them up here. We are now doing Florida Virtual School for history. My son loves it. They are 'traveling around the world' building a theme park based on what they learn regarding the history and geography of the various countries. We also found an actual science class my son attends. Other than those two classes, though, must say we LOVE Time4Learning