5 yr. old bored with kindergarten
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 5 yr. old bored with kindergarten

Amber Cross is offline Member

Default 5 yr. old bored with kindergarten

Hi i have been doing time4learning for almost a month now.My 5 yr.old has already been thru pre k in public school last yr. So I started on the kindergarten curriculum. She seems to be bored with it even though it seems all a review right now. She thinks on the activities that they talk too slow to explain or she seems to know it all already. And I don't think the activities are long enough. Do they get longer in 1st grade and more challenging? And I started my 3yr.old on pre k and she always seems to want to her sister's kindergarten one. Maybe I should have her go to pre k level 2. Level one all seems like things she already knows. The only thing moving my 5yr. old 1st is that she is just beggining to read. Is the first grade still a beginning reading level? Any thoughts appreciated!
    Thanks!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sometimes review is necessary even though kids may seem to know everything. However, it is fine to move your child up a level. Give grade one a try and see how it goes. If it works, great, if it is too hard for her, move her back to level K. You always have access to three grade levels.

I would keep the youngest one at the pre-k level for now. K level will expect her to know more than she probably does. You might try level 2 in pre-k though. I am afraid the K level might be frustrating. Have the older sister work with her on the pre-k level since she wants to do what older sister does. It will benefit both!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Kate is offline Junior Member

My son went to private daycare until I got laid off a few months back, and when I started him on T4L, he had the same reaction. I quickly swiched him to the 1st grade level. The reading he took to right away - despite only really knowing his letters and their sounds. We will be done with 1st grade by the end of the summer, and I plan on starting 2nd grade phonics and Language Arts Extensions this fall - when he would be starting Kindergarten if we were to send him to public school. He is reading quite well for a 5 1/2 year old, but I still do his assignments with him, so I can help out whenever he needs it and doesn't feel overwhelmed. 1st grade math stressed him out, though, so we went back and did the K level (he hated the repitition of directions and how slow it was - he was constantly saying "blah, blah, blah"), but now he is up the 1st grade level again after only a few months and a lot more confident in his math skills. So it really depends on how your child feels, but I would say jump ahead and find out. It worked for us! And that is the beauty of homeschooling. Whatever works for your daughter - you know her best!
    Amber Cross and afernandes like this.

ok thanks/

If I move her to 1st and ia too hard and mive back to k will it start back up where left off?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yes, it will.

First grade math is considerably more challenging than K math. You might consider putting him in K math and first grade language arts. The great thing about first grade language arts is that the extension units are all based on science or social studies themes.
    Amber Cross likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

So did you also put him in 1st grade La Extensions? I was looking over the first grade level and does seem alittle more challenging, but when i went ahead to look on the kindergarten there seemed somethings she may need to review. think I should just keep her on kindergarten and see how goes or do you think it would benefit her to go ahead to first? I am so confused don't know what to do. Lol

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would stay on the K level.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Child13 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey Amber, My 5 year old is also bored with Kindergarten, though I did make her go all the way through the K curriculum. She is starting the first grade now, and finding that she does need to slow down and pay attention a bit more. It's helping her learn to work through some frustration which is good. What she is starting to understand is that she needs to listen, even when she thinks its slow because she misses instructions and then gets mad when she gets things wrong. My 4 year old is about to start the Kindergarten and my 3 year old started the pre K today. For us, I think it is working to have them go through each level completely, even when they think it's "boring", it helps later on. One thing I am looking for is a pen pal for my 5 year old to get her interested in writing. If she gets a letter from a kid her age and learns to "talk" through letters I think it will help her learn to write and appreciate language. What do you think? Interested?
    Amber Cross and afernandes like this.

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

I have a 5yo daughter that would LOVE a pen pal. Let me know if you didn't find one yet....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast