5th or 6th grade math?
    JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default 5th or 6th grade math?

My son is a 7th grader, but 5th or 6th grade math would be more appropriate.

5th and 6th grade math look so similar. I know some would say to let him do the 6th so he can catch up to grade level, but I lean to letting him do 5th to make sure he really learns everything.

But I would hate for him to work through the 5th and then move on to 6th and get overwhelmed because alot of the material is repeated.

Thanks(I sure hope my question is clear!)

Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The material that is repeated would be repeated on a little higher level.

You might start him in fifth. If he's getting 100% on all of his tests, move him up to sixth.

A couple of my own children really find math challenging. I'd rather they plod along a couple of grade levels below their "actual" grade and make some progress than try to do work they don't understand.

This is just my personal opinion, of course. A lot of level placement is trial-and-error.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

I agree w/ your opinion.

I just didn't want to place him in 5th unnecessarily if the material was repeated again. I think he will find it easier to encounter the material on a 6th grade level, after he's already had it taught once on the 5th grade level.

My former math curriculum taught arithmetic first and he was behind in it, but really knows what he does know, if that makes sense.

All that to say, he just hasn't learned some of the math concepts like exponents, for example.

Thanks again, Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD