5th grade LA question
    mamabear8127 is offline Junior Member

Default 5th grade LA question

How do we access the books they are supposed to read??? I didn't see a link. Are we supposed to go out and buy the books? Please Help

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5th grade LA question

The book excerpt used in the core language arts program are included online with the lesson. There isn't a separate link to click. The online book opens within the lesson when the student is supposed to read it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

abookgoddess is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question

We have been doing LA in our own way, offline this year but want to jump in more fully here. We are trying to figure out if we will be doing more here next school year or jumping fully over to Oak Meadow for 6th grade.

So my question is the same. Is the except they read in the lesson the whole of the lesson? Are they only reading that one chapter or so? Or is the full book on there some how that I am not seeing? Or do we need to get them the book offline, and they read that and then read the except on here and do that lesson?

Confused!

All the best,
    Kim

Blog Entries

The lesson is built around JUST the excerpt. The excerpts are portions of chapters, but the lesson provides the story's background and summarizes what comes before and after the excerpt, so no book is necessary. The excerpts aren't just small paragraphs. There's a fairly substantial amount of reading. I love the book excerpts. The interface is really attractive, and they contain clickable dictionary info and picture captions.

The excerpts do pique some student's interest in reading "the whole story", and that's fine, but it isn't necessary.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

pricer is offline Junior Member

I have a related question: What does "ILA" stand for? And are the reading materials for all of the ILA activies (in all grades) included in the excerpts provided by T4L? Or so some of them require the full book? I have one child currently in 3rd/4th and one in 5th/6th and I see ILA activites in all four levels.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pricer; 06-19-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: additional information

Blog Entries

ILA is Integrated Language Arts (or something like that ). It just means the units include some of all the various language arts components: reading, vocabulary, writing, etc.

The lessons are based around the excerpt only, with plenty of background given about the story. It is not expected that the student will have the book in hand.