5th grade schedule too unrealistic?
    kidsngarden is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 5th grade schedule too unrealistic?

Here's what I have figured for my 5th grade sons schedule - he only does T4L 4 days a week because he does classes on Wednesdays at a partnership. After doing the math on activities per year and days to homeschool this is what it looks like (questions following):

31 weeks (4 days a week):
    Language arts - 1 activity per day plus any quizzes or tests after units.

LA Extensions - 3 days one activity, 1 day 2 activities plus any quizzes or tests after units.

Math - he is one year behind in math but is quickly catching up so we are actually hoping to whiz through 4th grade and 5th grade math this year - this means 4 activities per day plus any quizzes or tests after units.

science - 3 days, 1 activity; 1 day 2 activities plus any quizzes or tests after units.

Social Studies - 2 activities 2 days of the week; 3 activities 2 days a week plus any quizzes or tests after units.

This is not working out very well with Science. how do you work it with continuing experiments that can take more than a month? How many experiments do you have going at one time? It seems like a lot to get done in one year. Maybe we need to skip some experiments, but that's the fun part!

Then for the LA extensions they have quite a bit of activities outside the computer time too...

How are you all getting it done?

Thanks,
    Bethany

Default Re: 5th grade schedule too unrealistic?

wanted to add that on top of the above he reads for 45 minutes and does a spelling curriculum (is there a spelling curriculum with T4L?).

Thanks,
    Bethany

Eclecticmom is offline Member Regular

Your schedule looks similar to ours. I have found it not to be too much for my boys, although it is rigorous enough that they need to stay on task to get it done. We don't do T4L for our primary science curriculum so I can't answer that. We do a seperate science curriculum with lots of experiments! lol I definitely think that if the experiments are keeping his attention, I wouldn't skip them, I would just spread the lessons out over a longer period of time so that he can spend more time on them.

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Hi! Our schedule is a bit different since we don't have set days to school. We school 7 days a week, which means we can have school any day of the week not that we have school 7 days a week. Some weeks we do three days other weeks we do 5 days and so on. My son is doing 5th gr. math also and some of the 5th grade math animated activities have taken my son an hour to get through just one so depending on how long the activities take determines how many he has to do for that day. We didn't do science or ss last year but have started them this year. I am picking and choosing the experiments in both Science and SS. It would get to expensive for our budget trying to buy stuff for every experiment. One of the other moms said she discusses some of the experiments with her child instead of doing them. They will look up experiments online that are similar and see what happens. She said youtube is great for this. We are also switching back and forth between science and ss. Doing a chapter in one the a chapter in the other. My son can not sit for too long at a time so for us trying to get through every subject everyday was too much for him.

T4L does have spelling but I believe it doesn't start til like 3rd or 4th gr. Its under LAEX grammar.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

Well, we'll just keep at it then. I have started deciding which experiments and other work off the computer he should do or not.

Thanks!
    Bethany