6th grade math lesson quiz error?
    chemcindy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 6th grade math lesson quiz error?

Question in 6th grade math, Round Numbers Lesson Quiz....

There are two high schools in a particular school district. If 2,435 students attend one school and 1,546 attend the other school, about how many high school students are there in the district?

a)3,000
    b)3,500
    c)3,900
    d)4,000

My son took this test twice to get his score over 70%. The first time he answered (d) and got the answer correct. The second time the question showed up again and he answered (c) and got it wrong. The question does not indicate what place to round the answer to, so if it is rounded to the thousandth place it is 4,000...but if rounded to the hundredth place, it is 3,900. We changed our records to indicate that he made an 80% on this quiz rather than 70%, since the answer is arbitrary.

I'm not sure who at T4L has access to these quiz banks and can clarify or correct info since it comes from a different source.

Y'all have been very responsive to alot of issues, so I know you will do the best you can.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The sum of 2435 and 1546 is 3981. Rounded to the nearest hundred, that's 4000. Rounded to the nearest thousand, it would still be 4000 . . . wouldn't it?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Yes, it rounds to 4000 for both rounding up to the closest hundreds or the closest thousand.

chemcindy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks...for some reason I was thinking that they were rounded before adding instead of after.