6th Grade Social Studies Help

Default 6th Grade Social Studies Help

My son has a really hard time comprehending what he reads. This is one of the many reasons we are homeschooling.

We have been using TFL for almost a week now. Are there any activities to go a long with the 6th Grade Social Studies lessons? We read the lessons twice and he still made a 50% on the quiz.

Are there any activities or dose anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to help him?

Thank You!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I let my kids take notes during the text based science and social studies lessons, and I allow them to use those notes on the tests. I don't see any value I having them "learn" something just long enough to pass a test, only to forget it a few days later. I don't think I could pass many of the social studies tests I took in sixth grade today. Note taking is an important skill to learn. It also helps them remember the material, because they have to think hard and evaluate the information to decide what's important enough to write down. This has worked well for us. My kids are familiar with the information, and they can look up specifics if they need it, without bogging themselves down with memorizing dates and such.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!