7th and 8th grade Science and Social Studies
    nanaringo is offline Member

Default 7th and 8th grade Science and Social Studies

I was exploring the 7th and 8th grade lesson plans (trying to plan ahead) and noticed that:

1. Both grades have the same Social Studies lesson plans.

2. Science lesson plans are not listed for either grade.

Will I need to find Social Studies and Science curriculum from another source for these grades?
    Nanaringo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Science and social studies are offered to Time4Learning users as a free bonus. (See Home page.) There are no eighth grade social studies lessons. There are no science lessons available for seventh OR eighth grade.

Middle school science and social studies are under development, but there is not yet a timeline available as to when they might be ready. At this point, Time4Learning asks that users make their decisions based on what is currently offered.

Seventh grade social studies has a printable resource and a quiz for every lesson activity. The lessons are quite a bit longer than the social studies lessons in the lower grades. By haaving him do one lesson activity OR printable OR quiz OR test four times a week, I am easily making it last two years for my son. It is a wonderful study of American history, from the very earliest inhabitants through the Reagan era and beyond. I love this particular study of American history, and this pace is working very well for us.

Some students who entered Time4Learning late in their school careers go back and do sixth grade social studies when eighth grade rolls around. The difference in levels between sixth and eighth grade is more in WHAT is studied than the DIFFICULTY of the subject matter. So, if an eighth grader hasn't yet studied the sixth grade curriculum, it is appropriate to do it later.

The same applies to science. I unapologetically have my ninth grader doing the fifth grade science curriculum. There is content he has not yet mastered, and he is learning. I think it's doing a good job preparing him for some high school level courses next year.

Some families, of course, choose other programs for these subjects.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

So, for example, if she is registered as 6th grade, she can still take classes listed for a different grade? We don't have to change her grade level back and forth to do that? If that is correct, I am thrilled, because if we finish any of the courses early, I would love to go back and have her repeat some of the levels she did not master in public school.
    Nanaringo

Blog Entries

Yes, she can. When you are ready to make a change, click on Change Educational Level at the top of this page. Request to have the change made in just one subject, or in several subjects. She can, for example, be working on seventh grade language arts, sixth grade math, fifth grade social studies, and sixth grade science (or any other desired combination).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks again, Kelly. I know I ask a lot of questions ... and just want to tell you how much I appreciate your expertise, patience, and dedication. I don't know where any of us would be without you.
    Nanaringo

Blog Entries

Aw, thanks. *blush*

I like answering questions. Ask away!

scoutmama38 is offline Junior Member Newbie

so you have the option to customize the curriculum for your child? My child will be entering 8th grade and we have never done homeschooling before. I can just pick which science and social studies I think she needs?

Blog Entries

Yes, you may. The new middle school science lessons are wonderful! The social studies lessons are text based, and there is no eighth grade social studies. The seventh grade social studies is more animated, and its a great overview of American history. I've used it with my ninth graders, so I'd probably suggest that one for your daughter.