7th Grade LA Reading List Platero and I
    onlyme4430 is offline Member

Default 7th Grade LA Reading List Platero and I

Also posted in middle school section but no response yet so thought I'd repost here too just in case.

Has anyone already completed the lessons on Platero and I in 7th grade LA? I can't figure out exactly where it is on the lesson plans and I'm not sure if we need to substitute a different book for these activities since I don't think it will hold my son's interest. Has anyone else substituted a different book? I want to make sure that I get the corrective objectives covered if we do end up switching it. If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to supplement the T4L lessons? Thanks for your help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! That's lesson activity #76315 in the seventh grade language arts extensions. The objective is:

Influence of Setting On Problem: Students will determine whether a story describes a location and/or a time, and whether it is specific or general. Students will also note the mood that the setting describes.

I never hesitate to skip a lesson activity if I can't find the book. These things are covered over and over again throughout the curriculum, because it's not enough to simply present a concept one time and check it off as "done". Truly learning requires being exposed to ideas many times. That said, one or two fewer times won't hurt if you can't find a book or it's something your student just won't be able to relate to.

You might simply discuss setting with him, or have him read any other book or short story and discuss the setting, using the objectives above.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

onlyme4430 is offline Member

thanks so much! that helps a lot. i didn't even think to look in the extensions section