7th Grader Having Trouble with Science and Social Studdies
    tarawood is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 7th Grader Having Trouble with Science and Social Studdies

HI Everyone,

I am new too Homeschooling (this is our 2nd week) and I chose Time4Learning as our Homeschool Curriculum for our 7th Grader. While he is doing great in the Math, Language, and Language Arts Extensions, he appears to be having a great amount of difficulty with both the Science and the Social Studies. He is not passing some of the quizes and we are often redoing the lessons several times with only slight improvement. I noticed he had access to 6th Grade Social Studies and 5th Grade Science (since there is no 7th Grade Science he was doing Sixth Grade Science anyway). Did anyone else have this problem?

Would it be okay to let him move down a level in both Science and Social Studies? Will it put him behind if he were to go back to regular school for 8th grade? Should I just make him stay at this level and keep repeating the lessons? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you..

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 7th Grader Having Trouble with Science and Social Studdies

Hi, and welcome!

Many students who have not done Time4Learning previously begin at lower levels in science and social studies. From about fourth grade and up, the difference is mostly in the content of the lessons, and not in the difficulty.

Since every school has its own ideas about when to teach certain things, no curriculum can guarantee to prepare your student to re-enter any school. For that matter, one school in a certain town can't be counted on to prepare your student to attend another school in the same town. It's always difficult for students to switch schools.

My focus has been on having my children retain what they learn. If they only remember it long enough to "pass" a test, they haven't really learned it. That is what usually happens in schools. Could YOU pass the science and social studies tests you took in high school today?

For that reason, many Time4Learning families allow their children to take notes during their social studies and science lessons and to use those notes on quizzes and tests. Note-taking is a valuable skill to learn. Deciding which facts are the most important ones to write down helps a student to really pay attention to the lesson and to understand what he is reading or hearing.

Some parents have prepared note-taking guides for their kids, to start them out until they are ready to take notes "from scratch". They are available down in the "Resources" forum.

You might also click the "Search" link at the top of this forum and type in "open book tests" to ready many threads about using the open book testing method for science and social studies lessons.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Hi! My older daughter had trouble with 6th level science and social studies too. The lessons cover a lot of information. She usually had to read through a lesson a few times before taking the quiz, and then had to review a good bit before the tests.

We found looking on You Tube for movie clips to enhance the material very helpful. Look under the 6-8 grade resources for examples. I posted several clips that complimented specific lessons.

Let her take her time with the lessons, and try sitting with her while she goes through them. You will get a better idea of what she needs to make the material stick.

Just tonight, my 8 year old began the lessons on the Inuits. We looked them up on YouTube and found an interesting, informative 20 minute clip which helped her really visualize the lifestyle.....

I also LOVE Discovery Education (streaming plus)..its expensive ($200 a year through the homeschool coop) but there are sooooo many wonderful videos.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

By the way, I think the lessons in all the upper levels cover great material. Towards the end of last school year (our first year homeschooling) my 12 year old daughter began choosing science and social study units in different levels (4-7) simply based on her interest.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)