8th Grade LAEXT

Thread: 8th Grade LAEXT

wellowlbe is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down 8th Grade LAEXT

What in the world happened to eighth grade Language Arts Extensions? I don't vigilantly check my sons LA and LAEXT scores since they are typically pretty spectacular. I checked today and almost had a stroke.

Though he has a 95% in LA, he has a 69% in LAEXT. (He was unaware, as he isn't shown test scores upon completion.) He indicated that T4L has completely changed the layout of the LAEXT interface and he often has no idea which buttons to press.

Well, I sat with him this morning and it's true. He has to read entire poems and passages inside small, fixed-size scroll boxes. There is a ridiculous amount of animated text moving around and different colored boxes of text that leave you wondering exactly what question is being asked.

My son scored in the top five percent of the state's standardized testing, completed sixth- and seventh-grade LA and LAEXT in six months (receiving all 90% or above), and now has a 69%.

I don't know if this is a redesign or an eighth-grade thing, but it's just so disappointing.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! I'm sorry your son is disappointed with the 8th grade language arts extensions. They were some of my kids' favorite lessons. I guess there's no one-size-fits-all curriculum.

I looked at the very first learning activity (cartooning). Is it representative of the lessons you are talking about? The text boxes were HUGE on my computer. I was on a laptop, and I was able to resize them by pinching and pulling the touchpad (Windows 8). If the text is too small, I'll bet we can come up with a way to make it appear larger. What kind of computer and operating system are you using? Which browser?

The questions requiring a response appear in white boxes. Pressing "enter" submits the answer.

Hopefully we can get this worked out, so your son can enjoy and benefit from these lessons.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!