Activities that aren't so much fun.
    Daph is offline Member

Default Activities that aren't so much fun.

I have an 8 year old, who used a lot of the 3rd grade resources last year, even though she was in 2nd grade. (The first grade seemed a little below where she was.) Now, we've started on the 4th grade activities, and we're noticing a huge difference. There are less movie-type activities, and much more reading. It's not a bad thing - it's just that my daughter, who was so excited about this program last year, now isn't interested in learning with it at all. We're mainly using it to supplement with Language Arts and Math (and as a break for Mama), so I'm not sure what I should do. Can anyone else tell me if they had similar experiences? All the demos for the older grades look like they're a lot of fun; these that we're seeing are more like text books with graphic art.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Any time my kids balk at the text-based lessons, I threaten to start using textbooks again. That puts a stop to the complaints quickly.

All kidding aside, Time4Learning provides lessons in a variety of formats. My own kids find this preferable to other online programs, with their cookie-cutter lessons. While it might be efficient to write a curriculum that way, it gets boring pretty fast. We tried an online math program whose lessons felt like an online textbook . . . all formatted exactly the same, no variety from day-to-day. It was the same monthly price for JUST math as T4L is for all subjects, and it practically put my children to sleep!

While every lesson in Time4Learning isn't presented as an animated game, there are still enough of those kinds of activities to keep my kids' interest. It's nice, too, that it doesn't just get "grown-up" in a hurry. Seventh grade social studies is very animated and fun. So are fifth and sixth grade math. The language arts stays fun throughout.

I actually had the same type of problem with my kids and textbooks. Right around third or fourth grade, the books went from being large print and mostly coloring activities to smaller print (more reading) and activities that made them think. It's just part of growing up. At some point, our kids will need to be able to digest high school texts and maybe college courses, so I, personally, like being able to ease into it in this gentle manner.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Daph is offline Member

Thank you for the response. I hadn't thought of it that way. I was sort of hoping it was all like an animated game, since we have so much of the "older stuff" in our day, already. This will be good, though, if we ever decide to use time4learning as our main curriculum. I suppose I need to decide how I'm going to use this site, now. Research, research, research.

Daph is offline Member

Hmm...for some reason my post is missing. Thank you for the response. I'm still trying to decide what to do, since we already have lots of "older stuff" with our workbooks and such, and time4learning was the "fun time". I'm beginning to wonder if she's just not ready for the older things on here, and since a lot of the third grade Language Arts on this site goes right along with the Language Arts in her current books, I may just have her repeat these. Thanks!