Algebra question
    kjudim is offline Junior Member

Default Algebra question

This is probably covered somewhere but I am being lazy. My son is currently in 7th grade and I am doing some planning for the next couple of years. It is my understanding that if he completes T4L 7th and 8th grade math this should take care of Pre-Algebra and he would be ready for high school Algebra. That is one way I could approach his future math. But what about T4L Algebra? How complete is the Algebra course? He is breezing through 7th grade math and I hate to just review the same stuff in 8th grade. My other thought is to have him take T4L Algebra as a Pre-algebra course. The high school program I use is pretty hard so I just want him to be well prepared.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Judi

OK , I read the page about T4L Algebra, so now I want to revise my question. Is anyone using this course, what do you think of it?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Algebra question

Time4Learning algebra is intended to be an advanced middle school program. I don't think I would really consider it PRE-algebra, though. My ninth grader used it and he was well prepared to start a college algebra course the following year. It begins very, very easy but gets more difficult quickly and ends up quite challenging.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

irishizmom is offline Junior Member

Hi Kelly,
    I asked this question through time4learning/odyssey and they said that honors algebra is considered a "Pre-Algebra" here.
    BUT, I checked with our local public school and the honors algebra on t4l meets and exceeds the 8th grade curriculum here. So I agree that it is also what (at least in our area in NE) is considered Algebra I also.

You mentioned a 9th grader. My son is wanting to continue homeschool online classes for high school next year... do you know of any online curriculum that is similar to t4l? Not so expensive and lets kids be independent and do on their own. (my son LOVES the freedom of doing t4l!! so much less stress and he moves at his own pace, it has been a real blessing in our home!) I am looking ahead for high school, prices, curriculum, etc. etc.

THANKS!
    Irishizmom
    Irishizmom
    Kim

kjudim is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I think I will have him take T4L Algebra and then the assessment test for the high school program and just see what happens. Not real concerned about him retaking Algebra in 9th or if ready Algebra II. None of his career aspirations include math.

Irishizmom - to answer your question...No, I have not found anything similar to T4L for the high school years. We are using Keystone this year. It is not cheap!! But, she gets credit for the classes, and I get peace of mind that she will be prepared for whatever college path she chooses. Not sure how it will work for my son because of all the essay writing.