Am I just missing the homeschool teacher tools?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Am I just missing the homeschool teacher tools?

Thehesters is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Am I just missing the homeschool teacher tools?

Been using T4L for three years now and simply dealing with the areas I feel are lacking in the parents section because my daughter enjoys the lessons so much. But she's progressing to the point I really need more information and control over her performance. I initially looked for these tools but wound up frustrated and just dealing in my own way but it's getting way too difficult to handle that way. Have I just missed these tools all along or is T4L being lax in their teacher tools?

Issue one: I have yet to find a way to see my daughters completed work. Selecting the lesson in reports just runs the lesson. It doesn't show me the questions and my daughters answers. A vital aspect of catching problems yet I have been having to work around this issue by making my daughter retake the course while I watch to see where she goes wrong, working with her and helping her, then having her retake the test only to have that good grade dragged down by the previous bad grades.

Which leads me to my second major issue: Grading. I have instructed my daughter that if she makes a bad grade she needs to either seek my help (then refer back to issue one) or redo the lesson until she learns the material. This sometimes leads to multiple bad grades followed by a single good grade. And with a program that averages ALL grades that doesn't lead to good end of the year scores. The only fix I have found for this is to print out the years worth of reports and hand filter out repeat tests and average them myself which paired with the required hand grading and averaging of worksheets and other assignments is literally a couple days worth of work. I understand the need to keep a record of all the grades but when generating year end reports there should be a way to only allow the top scores to be counted.

Another issue I have run into is the program providing no grade at all even when there is a quiz provided. My reports are starting to be filled with N/A's. At first I ignored them thinking they were lessons that didn't have a quiz or test at the end. But this previous semester when one subject only had 3 grades I looked in to it. I watched my daughter do one of the lessons in question and saw it did indeed have a quiz or questions to be answered at the end. My daughter completed the work under my watchful eye then I waited a while and generated a report of the days lessons. The lesson I just watched my daughter complete came up as complete but the score was N/A?! Why?! We should be able to set grading on all quiz's, lesson reviews, and tests. Shouldn't it be up to the teacher what grades to account for? The option to see chapter tests only exists in the reports so why aren't these being graded?

When my daughter was in the lower grades these weren't that big of a deal for us to do without or work around. But now that she's progressing into harder subjects with more work and less grades this is becoming an issue we can no longer ignore. So I am asking before it's tool late. Am I just missing these tools? If I'm not and they truly don't exist when they should is T4L working to make these tools available? My daughter really likes T4L and I'd really hate to leave it but if I can't even get basic teacher tools then I am going to have to look elsewhere. Is anyone else out the who has these problems or has a fix?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I just missing the homeschool teacher tools?

Hi! Thank you for your feedback! I'll try to address each of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehesters View Post

Issue one: I have yet to find a way to see my daughters completed work. Selecting the lesson in reports just runs the lesson. It doesn't show me the questions and my daughters answers. A vital aspect of catching problems yet I have been having to work around this issue by making my daughter retake the course while I watch to see where she goes wrong, working with her and helping her, then having her retake the test only to have that good grade dragged down by the previous bad grades.

You can see the answers on completed tests and quizzes. If your child does poorly, they can review the material and take the quiz or test again. I have never expected to be able to see my kids' answers on the learning activities themselves, since I consider those "teaching" activities. The tests and quizzes measure what they know after they have received instruction and practiced. We can pass on your request to the developer, from whom Time4Learning leases the lessons.

Which leads me to my second major issue: Grading. I have instructed my daughter that if she makes a bad grade she needs to either seek my help (then refer back to issue one) or redo the lesson until she learns the material. This sometimes leads to multiple bad grades followed by a single good grade. And with a program that averages ALL grades that doesn't lead to good end of the year scores. The only fix I have found for this is to print out the years worth of reports and hand filter out repeat tests and average them myself which paired with the required hand grading and averaging of worksheets and other assignments is literally a couple days worth of work. I understand the need to keep a record of all the grades but when generating year end reports there should be a way to only allow the top scores to be counted.[/QUOTE]

The program doesn't issue a grade. It scores all of the online work and reports it to the parent as "percentage correct". The parent can use those scores, along with anything else they want to include (worksheets, writing assignments, things the parent has assigned themselves) to calculate a grade using their preferred method. There are many methods of calculating a grade. Some parents use only test scores, some decide test scores are worth more than daily work scores, some include scores from Science4Us in their science grade, and so forth. There are programs designed to do the work for you. One that a lot of our members use is Homeschool Tracker. I have not used it myself, since I consider grades to be a way the parent communicates a student's progress to a teacher. I don't use grades until my kids need a high school transcript.

Another issue I have run into is the program providing no grade at all even when there is a quiz provided. My reports are starting to be filled with N/A's. At first I ignored them thinking they were lessons that didn't have a quiz or test at the end. But this previous semester when one subject only had 3 grades I looked in to it. I watched my daughter do one of the lessons in question and saw it did indeed have a quiz or questions to be answered at the end. My daughter completed the work under my watchful eye then I waited a while and generated a report of the days lessons. The lesson I just watched my daughter complete came up as complete but the score was N/A?! Why?! We should be able to set grading on all quiz's, lesson reviews, and tests. Shouldn't it be up to the teacher what grades to account for? The option to see chapter tests only exists in the reports so why aren't these being graded?[/QUOTE]

The non-scored activities will receive an N/A. That means a score is not applicable, because the activity is designed to teach . . . not to assess. Compare these activities to a teacher standing in front of the class and giving instruction about how to do something. Students don't receives scores for that, even if the teacher asks a few questions to assess the class's understanding along the way.

When my daughter was in the lower grades these weren't that big of a deal for us to do without or work around. But now that she's progressing into harder subjects with more work and less grades this is becoming an issue we can no longer ignore. So I am asking before it's tool late. Am I just missing these tools? If I'm not and they truly don't exist when they should is T4L working to make these tools available? My daughter really likes T4L and I'd really hate to leave it but if I can't even get basic teacher tools then I am going to have to look elsewhere. Is anyone else out the who has these problems or has a fix?[/QUOTE]

The developer of the program designed the score reports for classroom use. Parents have access to these scores, as well as scores for Science4Us, Time4Art, Time4Languages, worksheets or writing assignments they have scored themselves, and any other extra education they have chosen to include when calculating a grade. Members who issue grades usually use an online program to generate their actual grade. It would be nice if we could offer that ourselves. Time4Learning has added a lot of tools at the suggestion of members, so I will send this in.
    coopermrocio likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!