Am I missing anything
    Amarey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Am I missing anything

Hi,

I am new this year and today I started reviewing my daughters work for a quarterly report. Although she is in first grade she is plowing through second grade subjects. Science and social studies are long gone. I was thinking of starting the 3rd grade level of those. She is reading great so I do not think it will be a problem.

It is going so well that I feel like I am missing something. I feel like this could not possibly be enough.

We are working on handwriting and spelling as well.

Is there something I am missing? Or have I really hit upon the answer to inspired learning for my daughter?

Thanks,

Mandy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I missing anything

It is very common for new homeschoolers to think, "It can't really be this easy."

Until third grade, the science and social studies lessons are supplementary. Those animated first and second grade lessons are sooooo fun! I've have my kids go through them several times, at the beginning and end of school years.

In third grade, science and social studies become more text-based and are considered "complete" programs. I've always left them until third grade (at least) and relied on the language arts extensions and library books for additional science and social studies material. (Have you noticed the extensions? Each is based on a science or social studies topic.)

Yes, it can really be this easy. Is she doing that well with math? That has always been a challenge for my kids and it's where we end up spending most of our time.

You might also be interested in this thread.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Amarey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the resources. She loves the extensions and I was planning to get a little more creative with them. Although I recognize enough is enough. There is a threshold of interest and then after that nothing more is gained.

We move slower in math but the 1st grade level was just to repetitious with only a few things here and there that stumped her. I figured we would take it slow and so far she is doing awesome.

Writing is our big thing as well. Her comprehension far out weighs her ability to spell and manually write. I would like to spend more time on handwriting but that is boring to her and that is the last thing I want to perpetuate. She loves to write and the rest will come with due diligence and age.

I have been looking for more activities and a curriculum guide. Thank you both so much!

Mandy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amarey
    There is a threshold of interest and then after that nothing more is gained.

Her comprehension far out weighs her ability to spell and manually write.

... the rest will come with due diligence and age.
    Mandy, it sounds as if you have a lot of insight. You two will do just fine!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Isnt it great to be this easy and yet your child still learns!!
    This is our 2nd year with T4L and it is the best! Last year we just did T4L and that was all. And it was enough. This year as we have gotten into it, we have expanded more. We do spelling, we do States, we do handwriting and after holidays they will add Spanish.
    As for her handwriting, do you have a family member or members she can write letters to that will write back? My Mom is a retired teacher so she created a handwriting program for my boys. She emails them assignments, they do them and either mail them back snail mail or deliver in person if we are going to visit. She grades them and they earn Grandma bucks to spend in her "store".
    This month it was invite 5 people for Thanksgiving, tell why for each person, create a menu, a seating chart and copy down 2 recipes for 2 of your menu items.
    If she is moving along to quickly in subjects, either get workpages or games to go along with it. Get a child friendly science experiments book and start doing those. She can take notes on what she observes, which is handwriting.
    Free reading and then go to bookadventure.com to take a quiz about herr book and earn points towards prizes.
    Good luck and it sounds like you guys are doing great!!

mommalee93 is offline Junior Member

My son is 6 and we just started at the begining of summer, I made him review Kindergarden work first. He is now almost through the 1st grade work. I am making him slow down a bit, but as I am expecting my 3rd I know we are going to have some down time after the holidays. We supplement with some workbook sheets to practice handwriting. my son has high functioning Autism so his handwriting skills are behind as is. I bought a plain notepad with the first grade spacing, but on top of each set of lines is an empty spot. 2 times a week my son gets to draw a picture and then we write a sentence or two about it.

I am loving these extra resources to help supplement what he is learning and keep it fresh in his mind!

Sams Grandma is offline Junior Member Newbie

Dear Mandy,
    Though new to homeschooling my 6 year old grandson with ADHD and mood issues, I have been an Occupational Therapist in the schools of New Mexico for 22 years. I have found that the programs from Handwriting Without Tears is fast, simple and transitions easily from manuscript to cursive. Their teacher guides are easy to follow. They are online and the cost per year's curriculumn notebook and teacher guide is less than $20. I think each workbook is $7 and the Teacher guide is also about $7 or 8. I already had the first 4 years due to my work as an OT and having retired am using them for Sam.
    I have also supplemented Reading and Spelling from Time for Learning with Click and Read and Click and Spell which my grandson loves. So instead of redoing the same lesson (although we do that) we have two different approaches to the same skill.
    You might also want to check out Read, Write and Type which is a great early typing program which reinforces reading and writing.
    Sincerely,
    Sylvia

Jamie Gaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree everything seems to be quite simple - I enjoy using the time4learning - but the math - does seem to bog them down at times. Mine are both used to ABEKA worktexts -and the math comes from a different direction. We are working through it - and it seems to be getting a bit easier.
    Thanks for all the great comments - they are very helpful.
    Jamie
    Homeschooling mom to 6 dear blessings!
    http://onlineeducationforkids.com