Answers to chapter tests
    Liz
    Liz is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Answers to chapter tests

Hey ya'll,
    I'm new at this program, only about 4 days into it. So far my son who is 9 is lovin it! We ran into a little problem today that I wondered if someone can direct me where to get it answered. After my son had taken the chapter test, he had gotten a couple wrong. Actually my hubby & I were wrong also (lol) but both he & I would like to go back to those questions to see the correct answer so that we can explain it to him, and why he got it wrong. I know you can get the answer keys for the print outs, but my son really wants to see what the right answer was, cause we're all confused!
    Thanks, Liz

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

What subject was it? If it's math, you can log in as your child and click on "Portfolio". You'll see all of his recently-completed work, with grades. The test grades will be a link that you can click on. It will bring up a summary of all the test problems. His answers will be marked. If he gave the incorrect answer, the correct answer will also be indicated.

If it's not math, let me know the subject and grade and I'll tell you how to access the answers.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Liz

Default Answers to tests

Hi,
    It is math that I was talking about however I did go to the profiles and saw where they have the question, what he answered and if it was wrong. However it doesn't show the correct answer. Is the "X" showing what the answers should be, because if so that was the answer he gave. How would the correct answer appear? I even went to "show image" and it just shows the same picture that went w/the inital question.

Thanks for getting back so quickly!!!

Blog Entries

Well, you are right! Only the child's own answers are indicated, with a checkmark if they're correct and an "X" if they're incorrect.

Let me email a couple of people and see what I can find out. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, if you'll post the Lesson Activity number and the problem numbers, maybe I or someone else here can come up with the correct answers and an explanation for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Liz

Hey Kelly,
    Just saw your reply. The lesson we were working on was #20181 under Fractions (2nd gr) Equal Parts of a Group Lesson Quiz. The questions he got wrong were:
    # 3 - How many apples should be colored to show 1/6? It showed a pic. of 12 apples; A-1, B-2, C-6, he answered A. (wrong)
    #7 - What fraction of the animals are mice? It showed 1 mouse, 1 frog, 1 dog, 1 mouse; A-1/3, B-1/2, C-1/4, he answered C - 1-/4. (wrong) and
    #10 - How many pears should be colored to show 2/3? It showed 6 pears, A-4, B-3, C-2, he answered C - 2 (wrong)
    My husband thinks that #7 should be, 1/2, but we're both not sure on any of these. So any help would be great, we're trying to explain our sons errors to him, he wants to know why they're wrong, and ummmmm. Thanks for the help & let me know if you can find out where we can find the correct answers for further quizes.
    Thanks
    Liz

Blog Entries

Hi, Liz. I've not received an answer to my inquiry, but I did realize that the test will be made up of different problems every time the child takes it. That's good, because it allows the student to take the test as many times as necessary to demonstrate mastery of the concept, without just memorizing the answers. It does make it difficult to provide an answer key, so I suspect one is not available.

Let's take these one at a time. I'll try to use the same kind of language I use with my own younger students.

One-SIXTH of the twelve apples means, "How many apples are in each set if we split the apples into SIX equal sets?" If your child already knows division, he can just think, "Twelve divided by six is . . . " If he does not know division, you might want to give him pennies or beans or some other object to use as manipulative counters. Then, he can actually count out twelve of them, group them into six equal groups, and see that the answer to this problem should have been TWO.

When you are looking at a group of two mice, a frog, and a dog and want to know what fraction of the group is mice, first think how many animals there are IN ALL. The bottom number of a fraction always tells how many IN ALL, so your bottom number would be "four" for four animals total. Then, count the mice and that's your top number, because the top number always tells HOW MANY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. That's what I tell my children when I first start teaching fractions: The bottom number is how many there are in all and the top number is how many of those you're talking about. Since, in this case, we are talking about how many are mice, the answer to this problem is 2/4 (or 1/2, because 1/2 is the same as 2/4).

Now, about those pears. The process will be a little different when your son is older and doing multiplication. At this point, if he has six pears and wants to know how many 2/3 is, have him group the pears into THREE equal groups, just as he did in the first problem (because he's looking for THIRDS). Again, manipulatives may help him to see that ONE-third of the six pears is two. But the problem is to find TWO-thirds of the pears. If one third is two pears, then two-thirds will be four pears. The answer to the problem is FOUR.

I hope this helps. Making sure your son thoroughly memorizes the time-tables (when he starts multiplication) will enhance his understanding of fractions as he advances.