Anyone with a 8yod who is not happy with any schoolwork
    AlohafromWA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Anyone with a 8yod who is not happy with any schoolwork

My son complains every day when doing his schoolwork. His bad attitude has caused many interruptions in the morning with the other dc. I thought this program would be the last resort before enrolling him into ps.

We started this morning with the reading comprehension and he seemed to enjoy the story and did well with the questions then, realized he had to do more than one story, the grumbling started. He is the most reluctant reader and to him the story was just too long. So, we jumped into math and it started okay until the double digits came out and then the grumbling started again. He does pretty well with math but is SOOOO LAAAAZY to think.

I am so frustrated because this looks like a fun way to learn. Do I give it more time? BTW, he will be 9 in December and was doing 2nd grade Rod and Staff English and 3rd grade math.

Any insights would be so much appreciated.
    Blessings<><

evey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hope this helps

I know this is not the same situation. My son is only 4, but we are experiencing something similar so I hope you don't mind my input. I noticed with my son the same things. He loves the computer, but to be honest he'd rather be playing easier games on it, than t4l. Although, this is probably not ideal, I found he concentrates when I am not in the room- I THOUGHT it would be the opposite. So, I set a timer for a half hour, or hour, and leave. I listen often by the door, so I can know what he is learning, and if he is stuck. I tell him not to get up until the timer is off. Then, I praise him alot for sticking with it! I have heard other homeschool moms use this timer method with their 8 year olds. One sets the timer, when it goes off he has 15 minutes to play, perhaps just with stuff in his room- then she resets the timer for him for his next subject. Hopes this helps.

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

My son is now 14 and we finished our seventh year of homeschooling so I do have a bit of btdt advice.

We struggled with this at different times. One mistake I made initially was focusing on the finished product (ie. the worksheet or the math problems, etc.) and not the character issue (ie. grumbling, laziness, or the like). A friend gave me some wonderful advice that saved our homeschooling lives. She suggested I focus on the character and heart issues, not the school work but use the schoolwork as a vehicle for practicing the character issues. For example:

Ds was fussing and whining about his language arts work. He took FOREVER to get done a relatively small amount of work. So we set the timer for 15 minutes (or whatever you deem best but I would suggest keeping it on the shorter end). Ds committed to the following (and we sat down and had a heart to heart where I accept responsibility for my part and shared my concerns with his choices. He accepted responsibility and acknowledged it was not profitable the way we were currently going. We then actually wrote these out):
    1. He would work diligently, giving it a good effort. It was OK if he didn't know how to do something. That's why it's called school. You're not supposed to know it all. But he was expected to give it his best.
    2. He would work cheerfully.
    3. If he got stuck, he was responsible for asking respectfully for help (he had gotten into the habit of just not doing his work because he "didn't know what to do" or his pencil broke - all excuses for not completing it.

I agreed to:
    1. be reasonable in what I asked of him
    2. if the timer went off, to not ask him to finish just one more. When the timer went off and he had worked diligently and cheerfully, he was done, no matter where he was on the worksheet.
    3. If asked for help, I would do so cheerfully

When the timer went off, I tried to have my first comment be on his attitude and/or character/heart issue (not to mention that was what we first talked about before even giving the school assignment). THAT was my focus. Not the workbook. Then we discussed or graded his work. But the schoolwork was merely a vehicle for him to practice diligence and cheerful efforts. The timer also helped because he knew it would not go on forever. And when all was said and done, he normally ended up accomplishing more than what i would have assigned anyway! It really helped us turn the corner as we had both gotten into some unhealthy habits and attitudes.

I know it may sound simplistic but that one suggestion changed our homeschooling. We were seriously considering sending him back to school as we were all miserable. I wanted home to be a place he wanted to be and I also wanted to *want* to have him around (does that make sense?). We both had to work on our attitudes because in the end, what difference did it make if he finished his language arts workbook by the end of the year but we'd lost him, crushed his spirit and hated being around each other? Who cares if he could diagram the most complex sentence but was a person no one wanted to be around?

Set your priorities and work from there. Hang in there and know you're not alone!

Blessings,
    Adele
    [email protected]