April Contest: Your Arts and Crafts Ideas!
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default April Contest: Your Arts and Crafts Ideas!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art supplies..jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	236Post an idea for an art or craft project in this thread before midnight on April 30, 2010. The person who posts the most interesting/unique/useful idea will receive a six-month subscription to Time 4 Art FREE.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 04-06-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Happy Farmer is offline Junior Member

Dear Kelly,

I have a photo of an art project we did this spring. My problem is I don't know how to add it to this thread. I can e-mail it, if I have an address.

Thanks,

Karen
    Happy Farmer

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Karen, please email it to kelly-time4learning at charter dot net and I will be happy to post it for you.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i have a horrible confession to make ... i am the least artistic person in the WORLD!!! i can draw some total kickin stick figures tho . my kids, tho, have like some hidden genetic streak where they are all very talented. my secret? i just keep the craft shelf stocked with silly supplies and the kids make wonderful things.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Syele is offline Member

My favorite one for small groups of kids (large groups cold cost alot) Its perfect for kids learning to tell time, learning to take measurements (find the center of a square, divide into sections to find appropriate places for clock numbers etc), or jsut for displaying artistic talent. When I taught Sunday School I often replaced the calls for those paperplate clocks with this. Kids I made these with were very proud of them and would tell me years later they still had them hanging in their room. A couple steps need a little adult assistance (particularly cutting foamboard), but the result is long lasting.

Clocks

Supplies needed per child:
    1 piece of foamboard (this is thick posterboard) (One foamboard is enough for 4-6 clocks)
    1 Clock Movement Kit (I can usually find these $4-$10 each at hobby stores or online)
    Markers crayons and other decorating supplies
    clear contact paper
    1 or 2 tabs removed from soda cans
    super glue
    ruler
    pencil
    1 or 2 batteries depending on requirements of the clock movement kit you got

Step 1. Cut foam board into squares big enough to easily handle the clock movement. I used strong scissors for this and gave the children their already cut square. You can use circles but I found it difficult to make the circle look nice.
    Step 2. Mark lines very lightly in pencil so child can write the numbers in for the clock face in the appropriate places. Older children can use the ruler to make these measurements themselves.
    Step 3. measure to find center of Square/circle and use pencil to poke a hole in the middle of the foamboard that goes all the way though.
    Step 4. Have child Write the numbers on the clock face with marker or crayons
    Step 5. Allow child to decorate the whole clock face to his or her satisfaction using markers or crayons
    Step 6. Cover entire foamboard front with contact paper to protect artwork, you will need to re-punch the hole.
    Step 7. Assemble clock movement according to directions. Usually this is a simple matter of putting the shaft of the movement through the hole and attaching the hands, leaving a box for the battery on the back and the hands on the front. The ones I used simply snap together. Older children can do this themselves, the class of 1st graders I did this with only needed a little help understanding the directions.
    Step 8. Glue soda tab to back of clock for hanging on the wall.
    Last edited by Syele; 04-30-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Syele is offline Member

thanks! My Daughter is super excited for the art !