Audio for 3rd and 4th grade lessons????
    carolynpt is offline Junior Member

Default Audio for 3rd and 4th grade lessons????

I know that there is no audio for this grade level, but come on now! My child has ASD and learns better with audio/interactive lessons and processes the information better. I have used Natural Reader for the lessons, but it is so hard to use each time. Wish there was a better way to 'embed' an audio feature from Natural Reader. I have to copy and paste the next each time into their little window. Very frustrating. Makes me want to forgo T4L all together.

Any other ideas or suggestions????? Thanks so much.

omimexico is offline Junior Member Newbie

When I went on the odyssey site, they had talking videos and all kinds of cool stuff that I am not seeing on T4L.... I wonder whats going on?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think you must be looking at the free science and social studies lessons, which require some reading. Time4Learning offers a complete math and language arts program for K-8, with science and social studies included at most levels as a free bonus. While still interactive, most of the science and social studies lessons between third and eighth grades aren't animated. (There are exceptions; science throws in an occasional animated lesson, and most of grade seven social studies is animated.)

My own children still prefer these lessons over a textbook, because the reading passages are shorter, there are words to click on and hear pronounced or defined, and they get immediate feedback when they answer questions.

omimexico, by "talking videos', do you mean the videos of actual instructors (not cartoons) giving lectures? You were probably viewing the high school level, as that type of video is included in the majority of high school lessons.

carolynpt, the program assumes students can read independently from third grade up. Natural Reader is the best thing we have found for challenged readers to have the program read for them. Peedy the Parrot needs to be installed on your computer. He doesn't work with newer computers, which is why we now recommend Natural Reader. If your computer is a few years old, you might try installing Peedy.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

carolynpt is offline Junior Member

Thanks Kelly. I have a Mac, so Peedy the Parrot may not work. I find Natural Reader a bit cumbersome. I think I have some Dragon Software around the house so I may try that one.

Blog Entries

If you find something that works well, I'm sure there are other parents on the forum who would appreciate knowing about it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Aluv4shoes is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Audio for 3rd and 4th grade lessons????

Quote Originally Posted by carolynpt View Post
    Thanks Kelly. I have a Mac, so Peedy the Parrot may not work. I find Natural Reader a bit cumbersome. I think I have some Dragon Software around the house so I may try that one.
    Were you ever able to figure this out? I know last year, when my children used Compass Odyssey, the test questions were read out loud by the program itself. I was hoping they would have implemented this into the T4L program.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Audio for 3rd and 4th grade lessons????

Hi. Time4Learning leases the curriculum from Compass Learning Odyssey. If the lessons are read aloud by Compass, they are read aloud over here at Time4Learning.

We usually recommend Natural Reader, because that's the one members have reported success with. Someone mentioned that they were using SpeakIt! from the Google Play store. If anyone tries it, we would be interested in the results.