Bit Concerned Here
    CountryMama is offline Junior Member

Default Bit Concerned Here

Hello everyone, just need a bit of advice and maybe a little reassurance.

We started HS our boys last Jan. after pulling them out of PS. One was in 4th grade the other in 3rd. Age wise they are only 15 months apart. This will be our first full year of using T4L. When we started T4l last Jan I put them both in the 3rd grade program. They seem to be on the same learning level in all subjects even thou they are in 2 different grades. This year I am putting them both in the 4th grade level.

I guess my concern is, when we take state assessments in the spring, my oldest probably will not test at a 5th grade level and I am concerned that it may somehow send up a red flag. How do I handle that situation? We belong to a HS association and so we don't have to even keep portfolios (I print off the the reports from here and put them in a binder) my supervising teacher knows my son is in the 4th grade level for math but never seemed too concerned.

I know we HS so our kids can learn at their own pace, even if it is behind PS kids their own age. I just can't seem to get over that "if he is in 5th grade he should be doing 5th grade work" thing.

Any words of help or encouragement would be most appreciated. Beth

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post
    I guess my concern is, when we take state assessments in the spring, my oldest probably will not test at a 5th grade level and I am concerned that it may somehow send up a red flag. How do I handle that situation? We belong to a HS association and so we don't have to even keep portfolios (I print off the the reports from here and put them in a binder) my supervising teacher knows my son is in the 4th grade level for math but never seemed too concerned.
    If I am reading this correctly, you are home educating under a supervising teacher in a state that is going to require you to test in the spring.

1. If I wanted to avoid the stress of testing altogether, I would look into another reporting agency that didn't require me to test.

2. If #1 is not possible, I would bring my concerns to my supervising teacher. I would flat out ask what will happen if he doesn't test at 4th grade level.

It may not be a big deal at all. If any unpleasantness is involved, I would also ask about registering my son as a 4th grader.

Prior to high school, when, due to TN laws, I feel pretty locked into doing and reporting 4 years in order to qualify for the state lottery scholarship, I think of grade levels as being pretty fluid. In TN I would be able to register him as a 4th grader this year and then allow him to skip a grade later.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 08-24-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Hi, I live in Iowa. The testing isn't mandatory. We do it as a gauge to see how they are doing. we only have to fill out paper work at the end of the year stating what circ. we used and how many hours they do it.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post
    Hi, I live in Iowa. The testing isn't mandatory.
    Cool! Then, I would bring my concerns to my supervising teacher. I would flat out ask what will happen if he doesn't test at 4th grade level. I suspect, since she knows what he is using and hasn't expressed concern, that it isn't a big deal. If having him test below grade level will cause unpleasantness, then I would either not test or only test privately and let the scores just be for my personal benefit.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Two of my children are only 13 months apart, and I was in the exact situation as you. (They have both graduated high school now. Wow!)

Anyway, in Oregon your child has to test, over all, in the thirteenth percentile or better. With us, one child would consistently test in the 90th percentile and the other tested in the 60th. With the typical standardized tests, there isn't really such thing as "testing at grade level".

One of my children found learning pretty challenging, and I used T4L through high school for her. At 17, she finished T4K's grade eight curriculum and took her college entrance exams. She tested at college level (yes, there is such a thing with the ASSET test ). She did great in her college courses. All I added to T4L was a weekly "current events" report. I was also really picky about her writing assignments. .

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you both. I am still relatively new to HS and have to get out of those conceived mindsets that public schools have pushed on everyone.