Burning out..rant....help me lighten my load.
    journey00 is offline Member

Angry Burning out..rant....help me lighten my load.

I have been supplementing T4L with other curriculum. I think I'm overdoing it! MY QUESTION IS: Can I dump all the books except Spelling & Religion?

Does Time4Learning teach grammar such as punctuation, parts of speech, etc? I'm very concerned about their writing. They still need to be reminded to capitalize beginning of sentences and proper nouns.

3rd grader:
    T4L: Language Arts 1-2 stars daily, Social Studies 1 star
    CHC Language of God Grammar (1 page daily)
    Seton cursive (1 page daily)
    CHC Spelling (1-2 pages daily)
    Science: Brain Pop, 1 movie with quiz 2x weekly or WildKratz
    Religion: DONE TOGETHER: family meeting in the morning during breakfast (Catechism, Bible reading, read out loud a few pages, watch a dvd, etc)History: DONE TOGETHER: Story of The World audio CD at bedtime (all 3 kids)
    Journaling: at bedtime.

2nd grader:
    T4L: Language Arts 2 stars daily.
    Science: 1 star daily or sits with the 3rd grader to do Brain Pop.
    Math: CLE 1 lesson daily (and she's veeeeery slow).
    Handwriting: 1 pg. daily.
    Religion: DONE TOGETHER: family meeting in the morning during breakfast (Catechism, Bible reading, read out loud a few pages, watch a dvd, etc).
    History: DONE TOGETHER: Story of The World audio CD at bedtime (all 3 kids).

I work full time from home and I homeschool my 7th grade dd.
    Last edited by journey00; 02-21-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammar

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by journey00 View Post
    I have been supplementing T4L with other curriculum. I think I'm overdoing it! MY QUESTION IS: Can I dump all the books except Spelling & Religion?

Does Time4Learning teach grammar such as punctuation, parts of speech, etc? I'm very concerned about their writing. They still need to be reminded to capitalize beginning of sentences and proper nouns.
    Yes, of course, you can. You can do whatever you want. T4L does cover grammar such as punctuation, parts of speech, etc.

However, the question really is- will T4L provide all my kids need to move forward successfully? I can't answer this question for you. I don't know your children or your expectations. The exception is that I do know that you are wanting a 2nd and 3rd grader to remember to rules of capitalization . For this specific example, I can tell you that your kids are very normal. Keep reminding them. It will stick eventually.

Although I cannot answer your question long term, I can tell you that, if you are currently overwhelmed, in the short term it won't do irreparable damage if in the spring semester of their 2nd and 3rd grade years you decide to just use T4L for the rest of the semester. You can always reevaluate this summer.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

journey00 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy in TN View Post
    Yes, of course, you can. You can do whatever you want. T4L does cover grammar such as punctuation, parts of speech, etc.

However, the question really is- will T4L provide all my kids need to move forward successfully? I can't answer this question for you. I don't know your children or your expectations. The exception is that I do know that you are wanting a 2nd and 3rd grader to remember to rules of capitalization . For this specific example, I can tell you that your kids are very normal. Keep reminding them. It will stick eventually.

Although I cannot answer your question long term, I can tell you that, if you are currently overwhelmed, in the short term it won't do irreparable damage if in the spring semester of their 2nd and 3rd grade years you decide to just use T4L for the rest of the semester. You can always reevaluate this summer.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Thanks Mandy!!! I appreciate you letting me know that that its normal for them to forget capitalization and punctuation, that was stressing me out. :P

I dumped all the books except handwriting and things have gone much much better for us! The mixture of T4L and the books was overkill.

Thanks again!