Changing Average Grade
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By sophia.langan

Thread: Changing Average Grade

TraleneB is offline Junior Member

Default Changing Average Grade

Hi, I have required my son to redo several assignments until he has made passing grades. When I go to Student Report and make list of completed assignments, all are included in the average. Is there a way to do away with the record of the lower scoring assignments and have only the higher score ones listed on the average? Does that make any sense? lol

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Since the curriculum was designed to be used in schools, it uses the typical method of awarding the average of all attempts. This is because schools don't like to give the same grade to a student who requires multiple tries and a student who scores well the first time.

Homeschool parents don't need to worry about that. We can't change the way the reports function, but parents often use the reports to calculate a grade their own way. My kids' reports have my penciled notes all over them.
    TraleneB likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sophia.langan is offline Junior Member

Default This needs to be fixed!

I too do not appreciate the averaging of test scores in this software program, I also happened to know that this is not the way my kids public school teachers graded them as previously stated.
    As a software company employee I also happen to know that the development of software is on-going and usually improved upon by customer requests. Looking at the numerous threads on this subject leads me to believe that this option needs to be reviewed with the programming company. If it is going to be used by both schools and home-schoolers maybe they could add a setting that allowed the user to choose "Averaging of test scores" or "Highest test score".
    hzritter likes this.

Blog Entries

Hi. Time4Learning leases this curriculum from the developer. It was developed for use in public schools. Time4Learning reports customer requests to the developer, but T4L can't modify the program itself. The reports are something the developer has chosen not to modify so far. All schools will not use the same grading methods, but the developer has apparently chosen one that is compatible with the majority of their customers.

T4L can add to their own site, without affecting the curriculum program, so Time4Learning has added a lot of resources to help make something that was designed for a traditional school system usable for homeschoolers.

Thank you for your comments. We will continue to report this request.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

i dont understand how to get a main all in all grade for one subject i have went into the gradebook but it does nothing the only grades i do see are all the assignment grades

Blog Entries

Hi, alioop. Log in to your parent account and select your student's name under Student Reports and Information. Then, click on Get Student Reports. Select the purple Reports icon . . . not the white Recent Work icon. From the dropdown menus at the left, choose Student Score under Report Type. Choose the subject you want under Subject. Choose All under Report Type (unless you want a report that just includes test scores or something like that). Click Enter Date Range and then enter the start and end date for the report you want. Now click Generate.

Hope this helps you get the information you need! You can generate any kind of report you need, as often as you like. You can just view it online, print it, or save it as a pdf.