Changing Grade Level
    MeMawB is offline Junior Member

Default Changing Grade Level

Hi all. We are new to homeschooling and the local school passed my grandson to 2nd grade, but we've done some lessons here and he just can't do the 2nd grade Math or Science. He has no understanding on any of it. I feel like the school just passed him onward to meet their quota. I was wondering if I place him back in 1st grade Math and Science would that hurt his 2nd grade status? Do I need to contact the local school here about the issue or his school back in Virginia? We are in Colorado. Does it hurt him to do courses here for 1st and 2nd grade? Is that even allowed? I am very lost on this issue and want the best outcome for my grandson. Any help would be appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Changing Grade Level

It is very common for students to be working at different grade levels in each subject . . . even in public schools, where they might have, for example, the "red" reading group (advanced readers), the "blue" reading group (average readers) and the "yellow" reading group (students who need more help). Many people assume all students in one grade level at a school are studying the same material, but this is not the case. Schools are often reluctant to "flunk" or "hold back" students these days. In fact, where I live, it simply isn't done (except perhaps in kindergarten).

When homeschooling, most parents consider their student to be "in the grade" that corresponds to their age. For example, one of my fifth graders was doing third grade math and seventh grade language arts. She was still "in fifth grade."

I'm uncertain about whether your grandson is being homeschooled, or if you are using Time4Learning to supplement his public school work. If he is homeschooled, you will want to follow the homeschool laws in your state as far as who to notify about what. Few states concern themselves with what grade level material your student is using. In everything but math and language arts, every curriculum will have its own ideas about what to teach and when to teach it. Even in math and language arts, where there are state and national standards, concepts still may be taught in a different order among curricula.

Generally, families must follow the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence (which is usually the state where his or her parent or guardian has their driver's license, car registration, is registered to vote, and so forth).

Here is some general information about homeschooling for you:

The Difference Between Online Schools and Homeschooling

Many people mistakenly think of or refer to online schools as “homeschooling.” Homeschooling is not about the location where the learning takes place. It is about what laws must be followed and who is responsible for following them.

When you enroll in an online school, the school is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the state where the school is located. The school will choose a curriculum, tell you how to use it, and impose a schedule. The school will create, maintain, sign, and stand behind any documents pertaining to your student’s education. The school will provide teachers for consultations and office personnel for records management. The school will arrange for any standardized testing required for public school students.

When you homeschool, the parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the state where the student lives. Each state has its own set of homeschool laws and they are all very different. Homeschool laws are also very different from the laws schools must follow.

The parent chooses a curriculum, decides how they want to use it, and follows their own schedule. Time4Learning is one curriculum you might chooses.

The parent creates, maintains, signs, and stands behind any documents pertaining to their student’s education. This includes report cards, transcripts, and diplomas. Time4Learning provides blank templates within your parent dashboard to help you create your child’s high school transcript and diploma.

The parent is the teacher (and the family is the school), even if using an online curriculum. This is similar to a classroom teacher who might show their class a video or allow them to use a computer program. He or she is still the teacher.

The parent will arrange for any standardized testing required for homeschool students. Not all states require annual standardized testing of homeschool students. Some require it only every few years, some do not require testing at all, and some provide alternatives, such as a portfolio evaluation.

A great place to find your state’s homeschool laws is https://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/ho...ce_or_country/

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!