Child not retaining lessons
    kathiok is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Child not retaining lessons

I am on week 2 of homeschooling my 6th grade son. He has been in public school until this school year and has been a straight A student. He is doing the 7th grade math on t4l, which is very easy for him. The rest of it...he reads the lessons and struggles with remenbering what he just read. I think it's because it is mostly reading and he's not interested in the lessons. I don't know what to do about that, though. If it was up to me actually teaching him, I don't know that I could do homeschooling. But bynlettingbthe computer curriculum teach him I feel we are missing something. Advice from seasoned homeschoolers?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Let him take notes. That will keep his mind from wandering, and he'll be practicing a valuable skill. I let my kids use their notes on quizzes and tests. That way, they have to really focus on the lesson to figure out how to summarize for their notes. It really doesn't do much good for students to memorize bits of info just long enough to pass a test.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kathiok is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you. Yes, he's taking notes. He's realized he needs to take more than his has been. This is new to him and a good practice for the future.

Great lessons this morning! I've been letting him do the science and social studies on his own, but today i went through it with him. We talked about each page before we went on to the next. I believe that makes him think about what he just read and already see improvement in retention of the material. The social studies lesson does a great job of repeating info. We laughed about how many lessons begin with "the Indo-Ayrans arrived in the Indus River Valley in about 1500 BC", but we sure do that drilled into our heads by now!

Bethie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, Im new this year and saw your question...,I use Natural Reader. It is a computerized voice that reads to my son. Its about 80 dollars. Its very cool. In male and female voice. He was getting bored with reading himself and he didnt want me to always read to him to be more independent. What you want to be read to you is highlighted and it will read the highlighted portion back to you. Natural Reader.com