Child skipping written work
    Carla is offline Member Regular

Default Child skipping written work

The other day my daughter was working on T4L science. When I walked into the room I noticed she was on a page that required some written work. If I had not walked in at that time she would have skipped it and moved on to the next page.
    Of course, I had her print out the work page and write up an experiment that it was asking her to write. She was working on the science lesson "How to Conduct an Experiment" in level 5.
    This assignment is nongrraded so in the record keeping it would not have shown up that she did not do it. Question: Is there anyway to know if a non-graded assignment is to be done without my going through each lesson ahead of time?
    My daughter usually is very good about doing any required work. But like most children if she can find a short cut, she will take it.

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

If you go to Parents log in, at the bottom is see answer keys and teaching guides, it will open, I click on my sons class....like SS 6th grade and it has available worksheets for the area the clickable ones are worksheets for the topic.

My son also likes to skip so we work out his lessons the weekend before and this has helped with out having to open his lessons and review it to see if a worksheet is available in the subject he is working on .
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This is an issue with science and social studies that is being addressed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Carla is offline Member Regular

Thanks Kelly, I am glad T4L is aware of the "problem", not glad that "answer key & teaching guides" doesn't list these non-graded assignments.

Thanks "drgnstrm" for your suggestion. The problem is that on the answer key instead of mentioning there is an assignment it states "none currently available", meaning there is no answer key. Even so there can still be a "hidden" assignment. The type of assingments I am referring to are: in Social Studies my daughter had to draw a map of Central America, Language Arts she had to write a paragraph summary, and in science she had to create a plan for conducting an experiment. All wonderful learning, age appropriate activities. I just would like to know she has these assignments without having to go into each of her lessons, which would cause the record keeper to think she had done that lesson's readings and give her a star or completed mark. Probably the only way to understand what I am talking about is for you to go back into some of your son's finished work and read through it yourself, if he is in upper elementary or Jr. high I am sure you will find some of these unlisted assignments. I really do appriciate your suggestion, just wish it was that easy. Thank you

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

Carle.... True, it only shows if there is a printable worksheet that goes with the assignment. Sorry I didn't check throughly to see if there is a different sort of assignment attached. I am going to check through some of his past work and see if their were any additional assignment.

Kelly...... That would be great to see on the lesson plans, optional assignments inside the lessons.

Thanks
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

On science and social studies in particular, I make sure to go through each lesson plan page by page before my son does (just don't use the regular exits/hands so that way it's not marked as done). I don't read through every single thing, but I skim the pages and watch for those extra non-computer activities. I make note of all of these on my own schedule I keep. I am able to make notes of what additional activities he will be doing within a lesson and also be able to pre-print anything he may need or gather additional materials ahead of time.

While the majority of T4L is online, there are several things that are offline that are very helpful for the kids. It does take time to do this preview and scheduling, but it's well worth the time and effort and helps make the T4L program more complete overall. I find that my son (6th grade level) also responds well to not having EVERYTHING on the computer (even though he really does love the computer).

I do agree that it would be nice to have mention of these extra activities in the lesson plan area though so we could quickly see them at a glance, at least to know they are there. I think really what is needed is a Teaching Guide for each chapter on each subject really that would cover everything. I hope it's something that T4L and/or Compass/Odyssey is working on for the future.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif