Common core

Thread: Common core

Melrog66 is offline Junior Member

Default Common core

How can I tell the difference between the original content and what has been added to align with common core? I wish you offered an option for the fantastic regular non common core content. But at least a way to weed it out without having to watch every lesson first will be much appreciated! Thank you for the help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi!

Hi! New lessons were added. The older material was not removed. The new lessons are marked with a red "New!" indicator within the lesson plans/scope and sequence.

Time4Learning was around before common core and has changed nothing to align with common core. It has always exceeded those standards. We do use a variety of teaching methods, to reach all types of learners. Some of these methods may appear to resemble common core methods, while others will not. Parents are free to skip any material. Time4Learning does not participate in any common core reporting or statistics.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Melrog66 is offline Junior Member

That is fantastic to know! Several people informed me the new material was to align with CCSS because Learning Odyssey is for public schools and therefor had to incorporate the CCSS. I just want to be sure I have it right now. So T4L has not aligned with CC and any new material resembling such is only coincidental? Do they intend to align in the future or to keep T4L the great program as it is now and always has been? Because I had been misinformed I now spread that inaccurate information to another member. Several days ago I responded to a question posted by another user asking why the changes were made and told her it was to align with CC. I don't know how to find that comment. Do you have a way to find and delete or correct my incorrect response? Or can you tell me how to? I'm so sorry for spreading wrong information further and would like to fix my mistake. Thank you for your help and response!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I asked for some clarification, and here is the specific information.

Time4Learning has not changed anything to align to common core, but there have been new activities added that have a "common core-like" teaching style. Compass Learning is the developer of the curriculum, but they only provide it to schools. Time4Learning leases the curriculum from the developer, so Time4Learning can offer it to families and individuals.

Compass has an option where their clients can enable an alignment that supports common core and I think that's where the confusion comes in. If you go to their site you will see that they are primarily marketing to schools which gives you the impression that they are only about common core. However, we are not a school and have no interest in that option.

Instead, when they add new activities that are taught with a common core teaching style we do make it available to our members. Some parents find it useful for students that take standardized tests and/or go back to school. Time4Learning provides a lot of flexibility. You may elect to use the extra activities or not.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 05-13-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!