Coordinating grade levels for LA and LAE
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Coordinating grade levels for LA and LAE

eelmasri is offline Junior Member

Default Coordinating grade levels for LA and LAE

I have just begun using t4l and noticed that the first grade LA was too easy for my 6yo, so I moved her up to 2nd grade. This is a better fit, but I am wondering if I should move her up in the Language Arts Extensions as well. Are they coordinated in anyway? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of having her in the same grade levels for both?

Thank you,
    Esther

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You can mix and match language arts and language arts extensions. My youngest daughter was reading well, so I put her in second grade language arts. I didn't want her to miss any of the awesome, topic-based language arts extension activities, though, so I kept her in first grade language arts extensions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, in first and second grade, the language arts extensions are just a bit more difficult than the regular language lessons in the same grade. That's why I have had my own kids finish all of the language lessons for a grade before going on to the language arts extensions. In third grade and up, I've had my kids do them together, but I do think they should be done separately at this level.

Another reason to do them separately is because both language and language arts extensions give writing assignments that use Story Creator. Often, the child encounters a writing assignment in both subjects . . . which is too much.

A final reason to finish language first is because, by that time, most students have completed the available first or second grade science and social studies lessons. Because the language arts extensions are all based around science and social studies topics, they help to fill the need for additional lessons in those subjects.
    journey00 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!