Cover (Umbrella) schools
    nanaringo is offline Member

Default Cover (Umbrella) schools

Do any other T4L members use a cover/umbrella school? (I am especially interested in other Florida members using cover schools. ) If so, would you please share your experience, ie., have you had any problems with Dept of Education or county school board accepting Private School status (vs. homeschool status with all the corresponding state requirements for testing, evaluations, portfolios, etc)? I am using a cover school, but as I am new to this, I just want to know what to expect.
    Nanaringo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Click here for information about umbrella schools from Time4Learning.

Click here for a previous thread about umbrella schools.

And, hopefully some who are actually using an umbrella school will add some thoughts here.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly ... I read the previous thread and it was helpful to a point. The cover school I am using is only $15 per year. Their only requirements for annul registration are a copy of school physical and immunization record, and regular attendance reporting. Everything else is up to me.

I have verified that this cover school is registered with the Dept of Education as a "non-public school". I guess I am just leery of anything that is so inexpensive, yet seems to fit our needs so well. I just don't want anyone coming to my door in the future and telling me I have broken the law, or worse yet, telling me I have to place Jennifer back into the public school system (shudder).

I don't know if I am allowed to list the name of this cover school here (still learning the rules) but if I am, I would be willing to share that information. If others are using it, they might be able to reassure me that it fulfills regulated requirements. If other Florida homeschoolers are seeking a cover school, this one is certainly affordable.
    Nanaringo

ccpeterson is offline Member

Would you happen to be talking about AEI? Alternative Education Institute? My children are enrolled with them. They have been for one year. We haven't had any problems with it.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Yes, Charity, I am talking about AEI! Thank you so much. You have no idea how much better I feel about this now. When I withdrew my 6th grader from public school, they insisted that I had to send a letter to the school board to notify them that I would be homeschooling her and bring her back next month for the FCATs. When I tried to explain the umbrella option, they had no idea what I was talking about.
    Nanaringo

ccpeterson is offline Member

That's interesting about the FCAT's. Homeschooled kids are not required to take the FCAT. Public school employees aren't too knowledgable about the homeschool law and requirements. Using AEI, your child is considered being enrolled in a private school. That is how the state views it.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

sisymay is offline Member

Yep, anytime the school says you 'have' to do something, always tell them to show proof to you in writing in a legal policy.
    From my bad experiences with public schools, they try (and do) get away with anything.

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

I would encourage anyone to join the homeschool association for their state, if there is one, or homeschool legal defense if there isn't one in your state.

Sometimes the schools don't actually know what the law is.

And always ask that they communicate in writing.

Sincerely, Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

There is a question above about the rules of the forum.

I don't know if I am allowed to list the name of this cover school here (still learning the rules) but if I am, I would be willing to share that information

We generally encourage people to discuss relevant topics including, when appropriate, names and links.

We have a few times removed links or posts that seemed more like advertisements than part of a genuine discussion. However, our bias is to keep this forum useful which means we accept that it iincludes discussion of competitive offerings and candid discussions of both the pros and cons of Time4Learning.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members