daughter not good at taking tests
    Essy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default daughter not good at taking tests

Hi everyone, we tried the program out last year and sort of gave up on it and now I'm back trying it with both kids (7 yr old girl and 6 yr, old boy...both homeschooled). My daughter does great with activities and lessons but then when it comes to the tests its like she freezes up and does horrible. Any suggestions?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: daughter not good at taking tests

Text anxiety is common, and I can't say I blame her.

Many parents allow open-book tests. I think you might find this thread about test methods interesting.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mandiana is offline Senior Member

What we do is allow open notes tests. The kids take notes and can use those notes on their tests. Their "notes" usually include drawings, and for Science, Social Studies and LA Extensions, I frequently will give my youngest daughter "fill-in-the-blank" notes as she's still learning how to figure out what's important to write down.

Here are some examples of the fill-in-the-blank notes:
    LA Extensions

Social Studies

Science

Hope that helps!

Essy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks to the both of you. I really like the idea of taking notes. I think we'll have to start implementing that.

denimay is offline Senior Member

Essy...do go the the "test methods" link that Kelly mentioned....I'm going to add my 2 cents there as well............deni..
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

mom2ahrj is offline Member

funny, i was just dealing with a bit of this today - not so much test anxiety but just a lack of retention - my oldest dd gave my middle dd what i thought was a GREAT suggestion - she told her to make notes of the things she was missing on quizzes and tests and then to google those facts - middle dd went from trying repeatedly on a test and scoring 60's and below to suddenly getting a 90% after trying her sister's suggestion! how cool!

i also told my middle dd that she should make notes as she goes through the quizzes of the questions she misses or even just all the questions so then she has something to review before taking a test

jenn