A decodable story (K-language arts)
    Annoulla is offline Junior Member

Default A decodable story (K-language arts)

We are one month now into T4L and I can tell my son (almost 5 years old) is learning a lot.

However, today we came across this part of his LA program and he only wanted to click on the button to hear each page read to him. My instinct is to go back and have him try and recognize some of the words or at least teach them to him (he is not reading yet). I am not sure if he was expected to read those sentences as the sample showed us...If he was, then, we are behind...I would be surprised though as the previous activities are only introducing the letters and sounds (which he is ok with)...

Sorry for my rambling on...I have been homeschooling just for this 1 month and often feel like I need to assess his levels.

Thanking you in advance,

Ana

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

when my daughter was on the first grade level (i believe - i'm suffering from mommy brain tonight), i would let the decodable reader read to her, and then go back and we would read it together. like story time, its not as important that they know every single word in the sentence, but that they realize that letters string together to make words, words string together to make sentences, and sentences string together to make stories. incidentally, she was below K level when we started this and now she's in 2nd grade reading on a 3rd level.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Annoulla is offline Junior Member

Thanks Jess,

That's what I'll do as well.

Ana