Do most of you use T4L as your main curriculum or as a supplement?
    maribeth is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Do most of you use T4L as your main curriculum or as a supplement?

Hello

I just signed my oldest up for T4L a few days ago and we really like it so far. We are in the process of moving so I thought this would be a good choice for awhile since I don't have much time for school right now. He is a "techie" type kid and loves doing work on the computer and has really enjoyed his lessons. I am wondering about using T4L as your main Lang. Arts and Math program for the long run. Is it enough on it's own?

My oldest is the kind of kid who I do not want to put in public school because of his special needs. His issues are enough that he cannot keep up with the regular class, yet not enough for him to get much help.
    I have a lot on my plate in my daily life and like using resources that help take some of the load off.

Are there any long term users here?
    Do most of you use T4L as your main curriculum or as a supplement?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Maribeth! My oldest son, who is in 5th grade, has been using T4L since 2nd grade and we use it as our core. We use field trips, the Internet, experiments, etc. to supplement certain areas, but with the exception of reading books of his own choice and doing a simple handwriting/spelling list each week, we do not do anything else for L.A. and Math. We recently did a test that is similar to a standardized test (but only because the homeschooling has been going so smoothly I though surely I must be failing, lol) and he did wonderfully. Completely average in the Math dept (and I'm ok with average) and slightly above his grade level for L.A.

Hope that helps!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

maribeth is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you, that is encouraging! I signed up with the intentions of keeping it through the summer. Now that we have it and I see how good it is, it is tempting to use this next year as well. I would love to hear from others who have used this awhile or use it as a main curriculum.

timmysmom is offline Member

Welcome Maribeth!

We use t4l as our core curriculum also. We also supplement music and art and phys ed and anything else he becomes more interested in, otherwise t4l has been more than sufficient so far. DS is 8 y/o high functioning autisic and does really well on his own with LA, math and some sicence. I do still need to be sitting next to him for social studies, though. He will just click through and bomb the test, but if I am just sitting next to him, he slows down and retains more of the info. He really does not see any use for social studies right now. lol
    Sandra
    Mom to Mo, Chet and the Tim-inator!!!

Preschool worksheets
    Worksheets created by my cousin for preschoolers!!

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Hi Katie, my daughter is in 3rd grade. She is struggling in math, her reading is on grade level but math she is about a yr behind. Do you guys know if there some kind of test I can get to see just where her weakness is in math? She is learning her multiplication and knows most of them very well. Not sure if she should be doing division in third grade or not?? Guess it all depends on the kids. Honestly I'm thinking of putting her back in public school. If she starts doing really poorly I'll pull her out and maybe do the A Beka curriculum . I will start with third grade though instead of fourth grade. Right now I'm pulling at straws just to get her up to where she should be, or the school says she should be.

Cindy

Lisa's7 is offline Member

We use T4L as our 'spine' so to speak and supplement as we find other things that interest us or if we want to delve deeper. I do use reading lists to read aloud to my kids and for them to read but T4L is at the center of our curriculum.

Cathy is offline Senior Member

we use t4l as our core and add spanish & spelling. My boys also take Tae Kwon Do, one takes drum lessons, the other guitar. Other than that t4l is it for us!!

Our evaluation test is set for May 18th....... guess I'll know then if it is enough

I remember reading a few posts by mommamary that her kids had the best math scores they ever had sine using t4l....

Syd'sMom is offline Member

Hi Maribeth,

T4L is our main curriculum. DD finished the science last year so we got an on-line subscription to a program called PLATO. It's wonderful. DD struggles with spelling so we use AVKO Sequential Spelling for that. In the past we did a keyboarding program. We bought it for $20 and she used it each week until she could type about 50 wpm. We just finished a course with Time 4 Writing. It was an 8-week mechanics course. I think it just enhanced the T4L concepts. If kind of pulled everything together for her and gave her a teacher to critique her writing. Other than that course, we haven't done much in addition to the T4L language arts, math, or social studies. I'll occasionally give her a research project or something like that that coincides with a vacation we are taking or something I've noticed she is developing an interest in. We do a lot of additional reading. I look at the ILA books and if they are available at the library, we read them along with completing the T4L activities. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better math curriculum that T4L. Hope you love it.

dhassing is offline Junior Member Newbie

HI,

I am a school teacher and mom of three girls. We do what we call part-time home school and will do summer home school. I would love to home school for the one on one time, but we can't survive without my income. The girls go to school and come home without homework and it drives me crazy, so they do an hour of t4l each day and reinforces what they are learning in school. They were in private tutoring before finding T4L, and we quickly switched. I have other materials for them to use, but they work just with this curriculum. I am very impressed with the subjects and content of each subject. My girls have set goals to get ahead of their classmates by the time school starts in the fall, and the youngest (K) wants to get so far ahead, she wants to skip a grade (if possible). I love this so much I told their teachers about it, and they are now recommending it to other parents for reinforcement of lessons.