evaluating homeschoolers in virginia
    amysmith949 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default evaluating homeschoolers in virginia

I live in richmond,va and i was unaware of the evaluation process. i thought you could just turn in your childs portfolio and have them look over what he's done. my son is in 5th grade and was removed from school in march. is there anything i can do to get him evaluated by Aug 1? what will happen if we dont have this in ontime? PLEASE HELP.

Hi there,

I am another parent who is new to homeschooling. My son has high-functioning autism and I recently removed him from public school because I didn't feel he was getting the education or attention that he deserved. I have already printed out the NOI form, and have him signed up with Time4Learning which I will supplement with a software program called BrainTrain. I have understood all that must be done, but I am confused also about what is sufficient for the evaluation to show how he has progressed throughout the school year. Is a portfolio sufficient or will testing have to be done? I have done my research and this is what the law states must be done to prove progress, "The parent who elects to provide home instruction shall provide the division superintendent by August 1 following the school year in which the child has received home instruction with either (i) evidence that the child has attained a composite score in or above the fourth stanine on any nationally normed standardized achievement test or (ii) an evaluation or assessment which the division superintendent determines to indicate that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress, including but not limited to: (a) an evaluation letter from a person licensed to teach in any state, or a person with a master's degree or higher in an academic discipline, having knowledge of the child's academic progress, stating that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress; or (b) a report card or transcript from a community college or college, college distance learning program, or home-education correspondence school.

I highlighted the last section of the law because this is the part I am confused by. Going by this, wouldn't progress reports from Time4Learning be sufficient or do they not count? Any advice on how to have my son properly evaluated would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sarah