Feedback about Kindergarten Math :( and requesting any inputs
    asoumya99 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Feedback about Kindergarten Math :( and requesting any inputs

Hi,
    We have been trying to get through the kindergarten math programs for my son. It has been real difficult on both of us. Is there a way to shorten the length of instructions and the number of repititions of the same instruction?It gets very boring for us, and the kids voice in the programs it is not very encouraging or enticing. Especially for him since his language development is delayed.

He found the prek activites very interesting and was hooked on to them. The kindergarten language arts(reading) is also good. But the math part is really tiring.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    soumya

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

When we were going through the kindergarten math program the repetition drove me insane as well! And it was totally unnecessary for my son. I kept my finger near the mute button on the computer and after the directions were read through once I shut the sound off. It wasn't a perfect solution at all but it helped!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Most kids at this age need repetition to be able to actually retain the info. T4L is not able to make changes in the programs because the actual programs are from Compass Learning--T4L purchases the license to offer them. Turning off the volume is one option. If you have the opportunity to skip sections within a lesson, try that. If you know he knows a specific skill, skip that lesson and move on. If you can read the lesson to him while you have the volume turned off, perhaps that would help with the voices. I am not as familiar with the younger grades, my daughter is in the Upper level on T4L.

Anyone else have suggestions?
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Daph is offline Member

I'm glad it's not just me! After the fifth go-round of sorting, I was wondering when the real Math would start! The program seems to work great for distracting her while my other daughter it working, but I'm not sure how much longer we'll use the program for learning.

Happy Farmer is offline Junior Member

Hi! We didn't like the K math either. What an annoying voice. We skipped up to grade 1 and my 5 year old is doing fine.

Karen

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Kindergarten math is very basic. When a student understands number concepts to 100 (or is very close to understanding), they are probably ready for the first grade math.

Most kindergartners need a whole lot of repetition. My daughter felt most of the kindergarten lessons went too slowly, but when I thought of how much time kids in public school spend listening to the teacher explain things they already might know, I still felt the kindergarten lessons were a better use of time!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

We skip around the (K and 1) math lessons...I began my kindergartner in the last section of the K lessons. When he gets bored, we move up to 1 for variety. My main goal at this point is to keep him engaged, and keep him learning something each day. The only section we are working in order right now is the science.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)