Feedback on lessons
    JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Default Feedback on lessons

I received this email today (which I edited slightly) and would like to hear from others on the same topic.

"I would like to let you know the language arts program is fantastic. My daughter loves it.... she immediately goes to Language arts.

I would love to see the math contain the same type of video movie lesson format. If you had math content with the same format you would really have an incredible program.

I have noticed that most children tend to struggle with math OR reading. By struggle I mean a lack of understanding and therefore interest in the subject.

When my daughter is doing the Language arts I hear her laughing out loud and really paying attention to what is being said. She has never struggled in that area but my guess is that even a struggling learner would be intrigued by it.

For a great many of us homeschoolers it is math that we are trying to find ways to teach to our children in a way they find it interesting and could actually “laugh” during the lesson. The silly characters and short bursts of information with reinforcement of the idea is a perfect fit for the math. Please find a way to create that!!!

Trust me your site would fill up with Homeschool parents who would consider that a gift."
    Lisa

-----------------
    I'm always interested in feedback although I find that its often contradictory. Some parents prefer math, some prefer our language arts. In a recent informal survey, I found a surprising number of people who were primarily using us for science and social studies!"

Here's my question. Could you please give us examples about which lessons you find best and which ones are your least favorite? Please be as specific as possible in terms of grade level and if possible, the activity name or number.

thanks
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

rebekah is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Favorite Activities

Without question, my daughter loves the grade 5 Language Arts activities the most--the ones focusing on parts of speech and grammar, that start "Lego Ergo Sum." She bounces in her chair when one loads up. When she saw that there were new ones offered (Process Skills: Think Alouds) she was very excited and wanted to do them immediately.

She is less thrilled with the ILAs - she likes the reading, but she says there's "too much writing" afterwards. I end up getting the book from the library and we read the rest of it, to keep her interest long enough to complete the assignments. I wish that the writing she did in the ILA activity was saved in her "backpack" so I could look at it later on; it doesn't seem to be, unless the activity uses the Odyssey Writer tool.

Math is pretty good, actually--she's usually interested, which is saying a lot

caroline4kids is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would love to see more of the animations in math, social studies and science. My 3rd grader was disappointed when sci and soc became just text reading and quizzes. We may as well use textbooks for that. He misses the interactive movie-style lessons. Math is pretty good, but LA is definitely more interesting. Are there animations in the older grades or is it all reading text on the screen?

Can you please, please add Spanish ( I see that Compass Learning offers it)? I would love some music and art too. I just think it would be nice to have them "play" in different subjects.

Oh, PLEASE can you get typing? Since it is integral into their LA lessons, it would be wonderful if they could be learning to type and not hunt and peck.

Caroline

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by caroline4kids
    I would love some music and art too. I just think it would be nice to have them "play" in different subjects.

Oh, PLEASE can you get typing? Since it is integral into their LA lessons, it would be wonderful if they could be learning to type and not hunt and peck.

Caroline
    Thanks for the feedback rebekah and caroline.

We are looking at different options in art and music.

For typing, you might look at Custom Typing Tutor. At some point, we might try to integrate it but so far, we haven't.

There was a huge update this summer and there was alot of new animated materials for the upper grades. Particularly popular are some game show type materials on vocabularly for much of the upper school. And stay tuned for more updates in January.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members