First Day Frustrations
    lineymom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default First Day Frustrations

First Day using t4l with my 3rd and 6th graders. Not happy. Hoping someone can help. Here are my problems:
    1. Writing Odyssey. How is it part of the program? Are there assignments integrated into certain lessons? When I click on it there are no assignments.
    2. LA vs LA extensions. How does it go together? Should they work through all lessons in LA then do extensions or do some in each each day? There only seems to be one chapter for spelling, but somewhere I saw a list of spelling words by grade level. How is this worked into the program?
    4by the big 100,000 #s. When I go into 2nd grade level to find a review lesson for him on smaller# expanded form there is none. How do they expect kids to just jump in with #s over 100,000 if they didn't teach it with smaller #s the year before? What am I missing?

Btw, we are coming from over 3 years in a K12 VA, so the k12 format is what we are used to.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

It can be difficult changing to a new curriculum. We keep expecting the new one to work like the old one! LOL!

When there is an Odyssey Writer assignment, the Writer will automatically pop up when the student clicks the lesson icon. You don't ever need to click on the Odyssey Writer itself.

When your student has finished an Odyssey Writer assignment, he needs to click the "hand in" button and then choose a fictitious teacher to hand the assignment in to. This doesn't really send the assignment to anyone. It just causes it to be marked as completed, and to show up in the student't reports as a link. When you notice a a completed Odyssey Writer assignment in your student't reports, you can print it right from the report and grade it manually.

In grade three and up, there are no writing assignments until about a third of the way through each school year. Then they occur on a regular basis.

In third grade and up, we recommend doing the language arts and language arts extensions concurrently. They don't " go together" . . . they just tend to focus on separate areas of the very broad "language arts" category. So, I tell my students something like, "Do one language arts and one extension each day."

Formal spelling lessons don't begin until after third grade, when the student is assumed to be reading fluently. Beginning in fourth grade, spelling lessons are offered as part of the extensions. I have my students do one or two "pages" of a spelling lesson each day. You need to access the spelling lessons using the activity finder instead of following the arrow.

Here is some more information about spelling with Time4Learning.

I hope this helps your school days go a little more smoothly! There is a learning curve involved with a new curriculum. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lineymom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, you've helped!!! The link to the spelling information didn't work, though
    So, with LA, do you mean just one star per day in both sections? I have been having them do like 4 (how many seem to be in a full lesson.) But only in LA, not extension.
    Sorry, my original post got cropped by my tablet somehow on my fourth issue. Basically, 2nd grade math is far too easy for my son, but 3rd too challenging that he is getting really mad. We did the first third grade lesson twice and he is still weak in it. However, there is no easier version of the subject (expanded form) for him to practice with in 2nd grade. He had expanded form in k12 2nd grade last year with smaller #s and had no trouble. So that's just an aggravation.