Frustrated!!

Thread: Frustrated!!

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default Frustrated!!

I have contacted tech support and they say to just clear my history periodically. Well, I just cleared it today between 2 students, but not between all of them and it happened again:

One student is logged in as another student!!

It's not time4learning's fault that I came here as a frazzled mom to begin w/.

I saw her log in as herself. I got distracted and didn't keep my eye on her the whole time. I guess I need to make sure they are on their own launch page??

Seriously, can this curriculum be done w/ 5 children and 1 computer??! What do the other kids do all day while waiting?

We are supposed to start for real on Monday. So today I had the kids do 3 LA lessons and 3 math lessons. Well, no one actually did 3 math lessons(too hard). Most kids were disappointed and acted like it was too much work. I dont' think it is!!

Any encouragement would be appreciated!
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

LOGGING IN: Are you saying the system is logging your students in incorrectly, or that you are having difficulty assuring that your kids are logged in correctly?

ONLY ONE COMPUTER: In addition to Time4Learning, my kids are required to write in their journals daily, read (book of their choice) for at least 45 minutes per day, practice their music lessons, view their Spanish lessons (on DVD), work on an art project (a couple of times a week), get some exercise, practice Bible verses for our AWANA club, and work on whatever project they're doing for Scouts. These are all things that can be done without a computer.

When my kids were all sharing one computer, I designed a schedule similar to this person's, with the children's names across the top, times down the left hand side, and indicating what each child was expected to be doing at any given time. I used this book as a guide. I still use this type of schedule, even though we now have enough computers for everyone. A schedule like this assures that two children don't need the computer at the same time, or the DVD player, or the SHOWER , or any other shared property. The book is written from a Christian viewpoint, but the ideas will work for anyone with several children.

NUMBER OF LESSONS DAILY: I have one student who only does one math lesson per day. It is all she can deal with before her "brain turns off". I'd rather she actually learn a little bit every day, than plow through lots of material without really understanding it. I have another who can easily do six or eight math lessons and ENJOY it. They're all different, but you probably have a good grasp of what each of your own children can handle (and whether they're just "being lazy" or really find the material challenging).

ENCOURAGEMENT: What you are feeling is a normal part of the "getting started" process. We're here for you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Tech support says the computer is taking info from the "history" or cache and I need to clear it so my students get logged in correctly. I know yesterday that my little girl logged in as herself, I was watching her. I don't know at what point she "became" logged in as her brother. Maybe he left something open and she clicked on it??? Don't know for sure. From now on, I think I will watch them log in and make sure they are on the right launch page.

I think I will take your advice and lower the math assignment. Perhaps I will try it out doing 3 or 2 lessons and then seeing after a few days.

They seem to like the LA a little more and do 3 lessons easily.

I am going to go now right now and click on your links!! Thanks!!!!

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hsmomof2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default frustrated too!

Hi, We started in November (I think :0) and my 7 yr old is having problems with the lang arts extentions. I'm thinking that we're expecting too much?? My dh is the one who set this all up and researched, etc... I just took over without much research. He was having our son try and read the whole story by the end of the lesson and I just followed suit. Since it says "Read by myself" it suggests to us that he's supposed to do it himself! We spend way too long on just that subject and by the end we're all frustrated and upset. I don't think it should be that way and dh is ready to send him to school. HELP! He does very well reading the reg. LA story, and doesn't need much help. But once we get to the ext. the words get a lot more difficult. Can you please tell us what is actually expected of a 1st grade student with this subject?
    Thanks!
    Amy

Blog Entries

First graders vary greatly in their reading ability. Some are just beginning to learn phonics and others can read independently. Most are probably somewhere in between . . . able to sound out a few words, but still needing much practice.

The stories are provided in several formats, so you can use the one that fits where your child is on the road to reading. If your child is not yet an independent reader, skip the "Read By Myself" selection and, instead, choose "Read to Me".

The CORE language arts is a complete curriculum. The EXTENSIONS are extra. They are meant for additional study in areas where a student is struggling or as extra work for a student who isn't challenged enough.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I had each child do 1 extension activity today.

And...I LOVED it!

The first extension for 3rd grade had them do a synonym activity where they replaced the word "big" (used in the story over and over) w/ a synonym for "big" from the box. This is the kind of activity that used to give me fits from my regular pencil and paper LA program!!!!That program would direct me to get my students to pick a word from the sentence and replace it w/ a better word.

It is so much easier to have the sentences and the word bank right there and then have the child "drag and drop" the correct answers into the blank!! And since all the words were synonyms for "big", it was a win/win! Just a matter of choosing which word to go where. The kids could easily see which story was better!!

Thanks for all your encouragement and patience while I am learning this program!

Blog Entries

I LOVE the language arts program. Glad you do, too.

hsmomof2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you Kelly for your response. I am happy to know that it's extra, not required. I think we will continue to do them, but go about it differently. I have another question also... where do you find the printables to go along with the activities? I found the answer sheets, but can't find the actual worksheets. I did find the LA ext that has 31 or so pages of activities, that aren't filled in. But can't find the blank math sheets.
    Thanks!
    Amy

Blog Entries

Here ya go, Amy. The worksheets are little links beneath the lesson activity icons.

Read through the Hints section when you have time. The Hints are very helpful.

And, of course, we're always here when you get stuck.