Frustrated with my 8 year old and lessons.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jennysmi is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated with my 8 year old and lessons.

First, I do love T4L, but it seems like my son needs me sitting by him to keep him on track with his lessons..like if i leave him on his own to do a quiz, he'll get a 40%, yet if i come sit by him and make him read thru what the question said and take his time, he'll get anywhere from an 80-100%. This is SO frustrating.
    Anyone else's kids like this? How can I get him to work more independently?
    ~Jen
    Mom to an 10 year old boy-in our first week of T4L
    "All that is gold does not glitter.."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think it's a matter of maturity. I still sit with my nine-year-old during most of her lessons, which is still easier for me than teaching everything from scratch and then having to grade it. I just pour a cup of coffee, sit back at her elbow, and relax. Of course, I'm remembering the old days, when I was flitting from child to child all morning.

I almost always sit with my younger kids. By the time they've been ten or so, they have been ready to do most of it on their own.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mcmary is offline Member

I sit with my 13 year old for her T4L lessons (she does LA and Soc. Studies). She learns by hearing so we take turns reading the lessons out loud. I pause and ask her questions as we go, such as "summarize what the page says", "what do you think will happen next?", "what is meant by _____?" etc. to make sure she's comprehending the material. The social studies quizzes require recall of dates, names, etc. so we take notes. I would not be able to pass the 7th grade quizzes without taking notes myself! The best learning, in my opinion, involves oral discussion and questioning (I call it the Socratic method) so time spent doing lessons together is well worth it if we want our kids to develop higher level thinking skills.

jennysmi is offline Junior Member

thanks all..I thought maybe he was unique..it's just strange though that with something like Math, I have to make him slow down and read the questions..I guess sitting by him is the answer. No wonder he was having trouble in Public school then.
    ~Jen
    Mom to an 10 year old boy-in our first week of T4L
    "All that is gold does not glitter.."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcmary View Post
    The best learning, in my opinion, involves oral discussion and questioning (I call it the Socratic method) so time spent doing lessons together is well worth it if we want our kids to develop higher level thinking skills.
    I SO agree with this!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

maryc927 is offline Member

I sit with both of our kids, Daniel who is 11 doing 4th grade work and Virginia who is 9 doing 2nd grade work. Even though the lessons are all on the computer, I feel like it's my responsibility to make sure that they are learning and picking up everything that they are supposed to be, so I sit with them everyday. We talk about everything that they are doing, I question them to make sure that they know what is going on.

tnhomeschoolmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

My 10 year old son has also been struggling. I think I'm going to start sitting by him during the lessons and see if it helps. My 7 and 12 year old don't seem to have a problem working on T4L on their own but something just ins't working with our 10 year old. We tried a few lessons from 4th grade instead of 5th to see if that would help and it didn't. I guess we'll see...I'm glad to see I'm not the only mom that's going to be sitting and watching/helping.

karenhs2 is offline Member

With my son who is now 10, it depends on the subject matter and/or his attitude that day. In some areas, which for him is usually math, he can and will do fine on his own. Other areas, especially those that are not as interactive, he needs me to sit with him.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I ahve an eight year old boy as well. Mine will be nine in about a month. If I don't sit with him, he will hurry through everything and get very low scores. He did a lesson the other day while I was in the bathroom and got 17% on it. We did it over again when I came out and he got 100%. He really needs the help to stay focused. Very recently he has started doing language arts extensions by himself. I am still in the same room with him but he lays on the couch with my netbook in front of him. He seems to be able to work pretty well this way now. He is still working on second grade LAX so the computer still reads to him. For everything else, he has trouble reading so he needs me to read the lesson to him. I'm thinking about downloading a reader so he can start doing more of his work independently.

We made a timeline for social studies. This has helped some. We refer to the timeline for tests and quizzes. This works very well except for those rare times when the quiz does not offer the correct answer. We had this happen the other day. I even went back through the lesson to make sure we had written it correctly on our timeline. T4L had it wrong. Oh well, it was just one question.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

gpmfallon is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am having the same frustrating problem. My 9 - soon to be 10 yr old just failed the 3rd grade FCAT in reading which is mandatory retention. he gets one chance to go to a summer reading club and re-take the test to try to get to 4th grade. I signed him up on this as well and he is failing everything. on 2nd trys he will get about a 70%. I dont think i should have to sit and read and explain everything to him when its 3rd grade work he just did all year. it turns into fights because he has an attitude that he doesnt want to do it when i go over it with him. he just wants to guess at every answer and be done. i dont know how to get through to him that he just needs to try and WANT to pass. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring him out of this slump? first & second grade was all A's & B's. this year was all C's and D's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast