Frustrated with the platform
    kathylleon is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated with the platform

Hello all -

We've been using T4L for about a month now. I find that it's not very user friendly as in I have to go into several different links to do what I want. I'm constantly having to cross check the schedule made by the system against the lesson plans. It seems that the schedule puts things out of order causing my son to do an activity before the instructions. I have to pull up reports and the schedule to see the score of his activities/quizzes before I can decide if he can move on. He's moving faster in some subjects so he can be on week 4 in math and week 7 in LA, which I like, but it would be helpful it the schedule adjusted to what's been done.

How do you make this platform work for you. Everything I've read T4L is preferred by most so I'm trying to conform to it, but I feel like I'm spending a lot of time wasted just moving around in the system.

melissa8710 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Frustrated with the platform

I agree the schedule to lesson steps are very frustrating. It would be great if the lessons listed in the activity plan were links to the actual lesson!

BeckaC is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am also looking for info on how best to navigate the system.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi, there! What grade level is your student working on? I haven't run into any of these issues, but I don't use the planner very much. My kids just do the lessons in order. This is mainly because we've been using T4L since 2004 and the planner has only been around for a little while. The planner should put the lessons in order, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

kathylleon is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Hi, there! What grade level is your student working on? I haven't run into any of these issues, but I don't use the planner very much. My kids just do the lessons in order. This is mainly because we've been using T4L since 2004 and the planner has only been around for a little while. The planner should put the lessons in order, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

He's in 4th grade. I'm toying with the idea of not using the planner, but not sure I would know to best plan his activities. How do you go about planning your kids days/weeks without the preset planner?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Kathy, if you are not concerned about "completing" a certain amount of work in a certain amount of time, and you just want your student to make steady progress, you can simply have him or her do the activities in order. To do that, it's necessary to understand how they are arranged.

Clicking on a subject icon (like "Language Arts") is like opening a textbook. You will be taken to a page of icons representing chapters in the book. Clicking on a chapter icon takes you to a page of icons representing lessons in that chapter. Clicking on a lesson icon takes you to a page of icons representing lesson activities in that lesson. Clicking on a lesson activity icon takes you to an activity to do.

When your student logs in to their account, they need to choose a subject to work on and then click on the first un-checked icon and continue clicking on the first un-checked icon until they reach something to do. That way, they will be doing the lessons in sequence within the subject. They also need to do any test or quiz as soon as they complete the associated lessons or lesson activities, because tests and quizzes do not receive check marks so they're easy to forget if they aren't done right away.

If you want to complete a certain amount of work in a certain amount of time, you can look at the scope and sequence to see how many activities there are available in each subject. Divide that number by the number of days in your school year to determine how many activities your child would have to do each day to finish them all. (The Curriculum Calculator will do this first step for you, if you wish.) If there would be more than a couple long activities a day (tests and quizzes aren't "long" ), then eliminate some of the units your student doesn't need and do the math again. Here is a thread about eliminating lesson activities that might not be important to your student.

In that case, you would use the Activity Finder to locate the lesson activities you want your student to do. I assume that's how you are locating lesson activities now.

Some people actually print the scope and sequence for each subject, cross off the activities they will not be doing, and work from that. It's a good way to see how much has been done and how much is left . . . and you are less likely to overlook the tests and quizzes that way.

I hope one of these options works for you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!