go to next grade?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    emmaflygirl is offline Junior Member

Default go to next grade?

Hi....my son (8) started t4learning at the beginning of summer. We only do about an hour each day at the moment. He has finished two subjects completely. I guess I have to request the next grade as it didn't automatically put him there? Also, I feel like he didn't do a whole lot of work so far and can't believe he has completed a whole grade for that subject. He is a slow worker and by choice would never do anything at all. It is so difficult and challenging to get him motivated. We are doing a sticker chart but honestly it's such a struggle and he needs constant supervision and pushing along. My older son just gets on with it. I have a 2 yr old so I feel like he is not getting the supervision/coaching that he needs. Public school is not an option here but I feel like he is not getting what he needs?

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

First, yes, if you login to the parent page you can request a level change. The information says that it will take about 24hours for the level change to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaflygirl View Post
    I feel like he is not getting what he needs?
    The question would be- what do you think he needs? Generally speaking, it sounds like you are saying that he needs more work in order to cement the material presented in T4L or because he is not yet ready for the next level of material. However, if you would ask for help finding something specific (like additional resource for a specific science or social studies topic), I would know better how to answer the question.

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thanks Mandy. I made a request.
    I really meant by not getting what he needs....as in, I have a 2 yr old. I really don't know how others do it, and I know thay do. He needs me there constantly to really benefit and that just isn't possible even with all/every distraction for my daughter. I guess I am just struggling and having a bad day. The place looks like a bomb exploded and i am putting out fires. Wish I could get on top of things and make it work for us. I guess I just need to get motivated or something.

"...some days are like that. Even in Australia." Really it will get better as the little one gets older.

In the mean time, try to do his work while she naps. If she doesn't nap, either do his online work in the evenings or mornings when she is still in bed. I sit with my 8yo the entire time he works online. That amounts to 45min- 1.5hrs on T4L and 10-20min on Khan Academy. In twelve days that we have been using T4L, T4L and Khan Academy combined have never taken over 2hrs for the online portion. This doesn't include anything printed out or anything written in a notebook.

As far as the house, I would enlist your 8yo and your older ds to help. 8yos are great at tossing stuff it toy boxes and wiping down baseboards. They may not be good at it, but 8yos also seem to like Windex and feather dusters. Older children can vacuum and do dishes. I have always washed and folded laundry, but hand it off to owners to put in their drawers. When days are like that don't think twice about dinner. Have frozen pizza, frozen chicken nuggets, or PB&J (or have bowls of cereal- I promise I won't tell).

Sorry you had a bummer day. Thankfully, tomorrow is a new one!
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mandy, which two subjects did he finish completely? Until grade three, there are not very many science and social studies lessons, so it's easy to blast through those subjects.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I can soooo feel your pain, my friend - trust me!! My 11yo is really used to the program, so I don't really have any issue with him - unless you count him griping about writing lol. My 5yo is just starting the program this year, and the 2yo bounces around like a maniac. We utilize naptime to the extreme, I assure you. But I have found the best solution is just that we all work together. In the morning, we do chores together and help each other clean up - even the 2yo joins in when we sing and make a game out of it. Then we all sit down to do schooling together. My 2yo loves to color and read books, play blocks or cars, etc. He does really well for about an hour at a time, then we get up and play, then go back to work, and repeat cycles as needed. Hope that helps!! Let us know if you need any other ideas
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Thank you all for the helpful advice and encouragement. It means a lot. I guess I thought I'd be a lot better at this than I am. I started out very excited and positive and I guess real life set in. I know I just have to learn to make it work, and it will. My 2 yr old doesn't nap and has been used to my constant attention until now. I guess I also thought that my 8 yr old would just get on with it at least sometimes.
    It makes sense Kelly that he finished those subjects then. It didn't really seem like he did a lot of work in those so I have put him on the next grade.
    When I read others posts I always imagine them with older children and able to sit and drink coffee in a peaceful teaching environment. I know others must have younger children too!
    Thanks again guys

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Something that you might want to consider is that you don't have to spend as many hours "schooling" as they would in public school. Take into account all the time they spend doing busy work while helping individual kids, lining up to go to lunch, etc. If you only get an hour or so done a day in the beginning, that's ok - you can always build up to more
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Please listen to what Jessyca said, especially since your child is only eight. A couple of hours a day is plenty. You might want to add some penmanship and art projects. On busy days, "art projects" can mean setting out the Play Doh! Our kids can learn a lot through free play.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

<snort, cough, laugh> Yes, I drink coffee, but seldom do I sit or have a peaceful teaching environment! It is easy to read idyllic pictures of things we ourselves want into posts and blogs. Like Paul Simon sang, “Kodachrome… makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!” And, yes, “everything looks worse in black and white.”

I promise if I post that we have gotten lots of things done and the house is straight, it is because I haven't sat down. Yesterday, I walked downstairs at 8am and the only time I sat before the two littles finished school was when I explained Cuppycake's Saxon lesson. I paced back and forth between two kids; I made and ate lunch standing; I straightened while they watched a 15 minute science video together.

And if I skip telling you how I had to march Mr. Sassy-mouth to another room or how Miss Pitiful melted out of her chair and into a puddle on the floor while whining that she was dying, it is because I only give these things the least amount of attention necessary to keep moving forward. I do not reward undesired behavior with lengthy amounts of my time. In word and deed I try to focus on and spend my time promoting appropriate behavior.

I have homeschooled two big guys with a little one. It wasn’t any more or less idyllic than now. There were just different places where my energy was needed. OTOH, I am glad I did it in a tiny, small house where no one could get away from me and slip under the radar! I spent time promoting loving relationships with each other and building a structure of discipline and self-control. Things like taking time to train your oldest to play joyfully with your youngest so that you can work with your middle is part of home education.

Now, it is different busy-ness, but I promise it takes no less energy and actually takes more time. Cashew came back in town on Sunday. Cashew worked Monday afternoon and Peanut had a meeting with our favorite math tutor. We have two vehicles, but dh takes one to work so Monday at three everything at home needed to be finished, because at that point I became a taxi. Tuesday, my not-a-niece Cuppycake was with us from 9-3. Thursday my not-a-niece Cuppycake will be with us from 9-3 and then both Cashew and I go to work. Friday morning I have to get up and drive Peanut over four hours back to college where Cashew will also be doing his first college interview. I will probably spend the night there rather than drive home late and tired, but I can only do this if I remember to make arrangements to not work Saturday. Doodlebug will take some work to do in the car on Friday, but will probably do T4L Saturday afternoon.

Today we need to go to the community college and take care of Cashew’s fall dual enrollment classes and finish packing Peanut for college, because I will not be available on Thursday. (and good grief, I can’t forget Doodlebug’s violin lesson today at 2.) Here I am at 9:30 sitting in front of the computer… basically because I don’t want to start the day!

I just wanted to comfort you with the knowledge that you are not alone. Perhaps there is some homeschool family out there somewhere whose days always look like a Hallmark card, but I wanted to encourage you by letting you know that in all my years involved in a large homeschool community I haven't met them!
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 08-17-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast