Grammar???

Thread: Grammar???

TammyH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Grammar???

Hi, I'm Tammy, homeschooling DS9 in southeast NM.

I signed up for T4L specifically for the language arts as that's where we are light.

But I can't find a single grammar lesson in all of 2nd or 3rd grade lesson plans.

Am I overlooking them or do they not exist?

TIA!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

First and second grade language arts concentrates heavily on learning to read, comprehend, infer, and so forth. The reading fluency exercises introduce punctuation. Parts of speech aren't taught until third grade, when it's assumed the child will be reading independently. Parts of speech (nouns, verbs, etc.) have little meaning to someone who isn't an independent reader.

If your child is an advanced reader and needs additional grammar, you can use the Activity Finder to access lesson activities from third grade language arts.

Another option is to use a site like Learning Games for Kids. Click on "Word Games" at the left and choose "Vocabulary Games". The "story blanks" are like MadLibs . . . a very fun way to practice parts of speech!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

TammyH is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, Kelly!