Grammar problem: Can anyone tell me...
    Conteuse is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Grammar problem: Can anyone tell me...

...why the 4th grade Language Arts program continually uses "inferencing" instead of "inferring"?

Inferring is a verb that means "to derive by reasoning; conclude or judge from premises or evidence." Inference is a noun, the result of inferring. That's the basic concept they're trying to teach.

There is no such thing as "inferencing." They're using a made-up word when the word they want already exists.

I'm concerned that the Language Arts program is actually teaching incorrect grammar. No doubt they'll start "referencing" things in the future instead of "referring" to them or "making reference" to them. Maddening.

We're still T4L newbies and love it, except for this one problem. It seems pervasive through many of the lessons. Can it be corrected?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This word appears to have been copied from state standards! It's certainly interesting, and I agree with your definition.

Time4Learning uses material developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has acquired a license that allows them to offer it to individuals. Since T4L isn't the developer, they can't directly modify the lessons, but they do provide lesson feedback to CompassLearning.

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll pass it on.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Conteuse is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for passing it on. I just saw the notice that T4L is going to be down for maintenance tomorrow--hope springs eternal that it's because CompassLearning is correcting this problem!

Well, we can dream, can't we?