Grandparents raising grandchildren
    nanaringo is offline Member

Default Grandparents raising grandchildren

Are there any other grandparents raising grandchildren and using T4L to homeschool? If so, I would love to hear from them. We may have our own unique issues to deal with, and might be able to help each other deal with them?
    Nanaringo

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There was someone on awhile back who was using T4L with a grandchild, but I think she was just babysitting her grandchildren during the day . . . not raising them.

I'll try and remember who it was.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Onana62 is offline Junior Member Newbie

nanaringo
    Hi
    I also use time for learning for my grandson whom I am raising. I'm sorry I couldn't answer you sooner but was unable to sign into the forum for some reason. My grandson is in 4th grade and I use time4learning plus a few other books and a spelling site. He absolutely loves this site. I never have to fight with him to do school work. Welcome aboard.
    Betty

nanaringo is offline Member

Betty, ... Hi, yourself! Nice to know I'm not the only one. My granddaughter is ADHD, and 2 years behind in school. I have been fed up with the public school system for a very long time, but only recently found T4L. I have to sit with her every minute she is doing her T4L classes, or she just pages thru and marks answers just to finish. It is taking more of my time than I thought it would, but I am seeing that she CAN learn, with the proper attention. I am hoping to eventually wean her off my constant presence, and any suggestions for achieving that goal would be greatly appreciated. She is 13 and in the 6th grade (2 yrs behind, as I stated above), so she should be able to work independently. I think she developed this "rushing thru" habit in public school because she got absolutely no help there.

We adopted this grandchild and, since we will not be around forever, I want to prepare her for the best future possible.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Nanaringo

gulfmiss is offline Member Newbie

Default Raising Grandchild

Hello. I'm not raising my grandchildren, but I am caring for them during the day and homeschooling my (as of today) eleven year old granddaughter, Katelyn. She is ADHD and has trichotillomania so almost every day is a stuggle. She is on Concerta and that helps, but it's still hard. She was doing fifth grade work, but I had to back her up because she was struggling some due to her lack of attention. I also care for her three year old brother and two days a week I have my other grandson who just turned two.

I'm a retired teacher and my DIL is a teacher also. My biggest handicap is my age. LOL I just don't have the stamina that I used to have. I have to sit right beside Katelyn when she does her T4L or she will skip parts of it and she knows how to make it look like she completed a section when she didn't. We usually have to take off on Mondays when I have all three grandkids and my husband is working, but she does her math on the weekends with her mom.

I guess we just do the best we can. I'm lucky that her mom is very supportive and she understands when we have a "bad" day. We made the decision to homeschool because Katelyn was spending all day at school and all evening doing nothing but homework. We even took her off her gymnastics team because of all of the schoolwork, but I still take her to her four dance classes each week. Good luck to you. Judy

DavePrime is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Onana62
    nanaringo
    My grandson is in 4th grade and I use time4learning plus a few other books and a spelling site.
    Betty
    If I may ask, What spelling site? MY daughter is in 4th grade as well and we are just starting this ride.
    "As always I do what is necessary...."