Having touble assigning assignments!
    EmZmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Having touble assigning assignments!

Hi! I'm new here but having trouble assigning assignments for my son who's in Pre k 2. I've gone through the lesson plan help, etc. but I'm not sure how to actually assign it to him? Also he has completed a number of the activities (showing check marks and everything), but when I go to his student records it shows no attendance and nothing completed HELP!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I understand your confusion! The preschool program is a completely separate section of Time4Learning, and functions differently than the rest.

To view your student's reports, look to the left, near the bottom of the screen, after logging in as your student. Click on the Reports link.

As far as scheduling, I will copy my reply to a similar question from a while back. I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

Hi! The themes in the preschool program are intended to last approximately a week each. Preschoolers benefit from much repetition, and should usually spend no more than 1/2 to one hour per day on the computer. To encourage repetition of the lessons, Time4Learning preschool will soon be awarding a star for each time an activity is completed, instead of a checkmark . . . which seems to imply that the lesson is "done". Because most of a preschooler's learning should be hands-on, the preschool program also provides Idea Books within the program, that include ideas for offline activities.

Remember, preschoolers usually only attend school for a couple of hours a day, and not usually every day. At home, a preschooler's "formal" education time should only take about an hour. The rest of the day should be spent in free play ("good stuff", like sandbox, playing house or cars, jumping rope, etc.). I don't let my kids watch TV until after dinner, so they are pretty much forced to come up with some quality play ideas during the day. Look at any preschool room and you'll see play houses, toy dishes, etc. A child isn't studying letters and numbers the whole time they're at preschool.

Here's how I use the program for my son: On Monday, I find a coloring page to represent the week's theme. We color it and post it on the fridge, and then we do the first T4L activity in that week's theme. This is usually a book or a video, so it's a great introduction. We discuss what we've read or watched, and sometimes we read it or watch it again, or act out what we've learned. Then, we do some penmanship. I try to concentrate on practicing letters that have to do with the theme. They don't have to be in order so, for example, when the theme is "garden", we practicre the letter G.

On Tuesday, he is allowed to do any of the other activities in the theme, up to half an hour on the computer. He can also watch that theme's video or listen to that theme's book again. Then, he finds some magazine pictures that have
    to do with the theme, cuts them out, and pastes them on a piece of construction paper to make a poster. That goes on the fridge, too, along with yesterday's poster. The
    things posted on the fridge help the rest of the family to know what he is studying, and they can talk about it with him during everyday conversation.

On Wednesday, he can do any of the other activities in this week's theme, PLUS any activities from previous themes that he is interested in, up to half an hour on the computer. We do more penmanship, and sometimes a really easy cooking activity. Ideas are warming up alphabet soup for the alphabet theme, "ants on a log" for the insects theme, animal crackers spread with frosting for the zoo theme, etc. If you Google "preschool theme recipes", you'll get lots of ideas.

On Thursday, he can again do any of the other activities in this week's theme, plus any activities from previous themes that he is interested in, up to half an hour on the computer. Then, I get out some theme-related toys (that I've purchased earlier from Dollar Tree or garage sales) and let him play with those. We usually find things we can count or add on the toys before I let him have free play. For example, if I have a baggie of plastic farm animals for the farm theme, we might see how many legs each one has, how many legs on two cows together, sort them according to size or color, etc.

On Friday, he again works on the computer for half an hour, but I require him to review the initial book or video for the week's theme. Then, we do an art project. If I'm busy, I might just get out the Playdough or paints and have him make a theme-related item from Playdough, or paint a theme-related picture. If I have a little more time, I Google ideas for art projects on the theme and usually find more ideas than I can use. There are also ideas for art projects in some of the Idea Books in the program. Half a dozen times throughout the year, instead of an art project, we'll do a science experiment (like testing things to see if they sink or float for the "Ocean" theme).

Used this way, the online activities are the backbone of our program, and they provide some structure for us. Adding the offline stuff assures that my son is receiving a well-rounded education.

Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 03-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!