Hello from Mississippi
    gulfmiss is offline Member Newbie

Default Hello from Mississippi

We are new here and I just wanted to say, "Hello." I am homeschooling my granddaughter, Katelyn. Katelyn is ten and is in the fifth grade. We began homeschooling on September 24th due to ADHD, anxiety issues and trichotillomania--which means that Katelyn pulls out her hair. It was a hard decision to make because the school is excellent and her mother teaches fourth grade there. The school is a level five school and is ranked second in the state accademically and there is a lot of pressure and testing to maintain that ranking. That appeared to be part of the problem because that's where Katelyn pulled out a lot of her hair and it usually was during test time. At any rate, that's when my DIL and I decided to homeschool.

I did some research on the computer and my DIL and I looked at several programs but chose Time4Learning. It seemed to fit our needs and the cost was a factor too. Katelyn likes the program--especially the language arts with the characters. I have to watch her on some of the subjects though because she will try to zip through them without really taking the time that she should. It's a different approach for me because I am a retired teacher with thirty years of experience at the secondary level (mostly seniors) and I am used to books, paper, and pens. However, I keep Katelyn's little brother five days a week and their cousin two of those days and needed a program that would not require me to sit by her every minute. The boys are 34 months and two years old as of the end of this month.

Well, that's our story and we are happy to be here.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome! We're happy you're here, too!

It sounds like you are "Accidental Homeschoolers". If you click here, I think you'll find you have something in common with many Time4Learning subscribers.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Accidental Homeschooler

That would be a very good description of what we are. I retired almost seven years ago and never thought I'd be doing something like this. LOL I just couldn't stand by and watch my DGD suffer so I had to offer to homeschool her. I do all of her subjects except math and leave that to my DIL--We are always there for each other and it helps that they live across the street from my husband and me. We also are lucky in that we have a very active local homeschooling group and they have more activities than we can do right now.

Thanks for the link--we are indeed "accidental"!

ccpeterson is offline Member

Welcome! I think it is wonderful what you are doing for your grand daughter.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Default Thanks

Thanks for stopping by to say "hello". I am always happy to help with the grandchildren any way that I can. I had such a wonderful relationship with my grandmother that I hope my grands will feel the same way. I have two more--both boys--who are nearly two and nearly three. I'm not sure if they will attend PS or homeschool...I'd rather that someone else teach them to read first. LOL I'm not sure if I feel confident enough to do that.

mississippimom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello from Meridian, MS. I too have just begun homeschooling children, ages 8 and 9 with T4L and absolutely love it! I learned an expensive lesson though. I now have not one, but 2 complete sets of completely useless ABEKA 3rd grade curriculum. OK, well not completely useless. I am using the cursive writing book and reading nightly from their readers. But my kids would rather "do work" on the computer than workbooks any day! They are usually ahead of me getting up and onto the computer. But I have to agree with the tip on the other post...you have to be there most of the time. Whether they are independent learners or not. Mine will try to skip material they "think they know."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A Beka stuff sells well on eBay.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!