Help!!!!

Thread: Help!!!!

missieg is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help!!!!

Hello everyone,

I love T4L, however I am kind of lost....

Is it possible for someone to kindly awnser these questions...

1. what happens when the child finishes a subject like science. Do I move her up to the next grade, if so what will she do next year..

2. How do we get a star icon to say mastered and not just completed?

3. On the reports, why does it say score only in blue?

4. Also when I need to send in my daughters grades, (umbrella requirment) what do I print off, or should I just average all the grades for that subject?

6. also there seems to be so many activities that have a N/A in the score box, is that normal?

7. Are there any other resource's sheets for all subjects or are there just a few of them, just in math

8. is it possible to retake something, and how come the old grade does not drop off?

Thanks so much

Missie G.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Missie. Welcome to the board!

1. what happens when the child finishes a subject like science. Do I move her up to the next grade, if so what will she do next year..

What grade is she in? Until third grade, the science and socal studies lessons are somewhat sketchy. (The science and social studies lessons are offered as a free bonus.) Most people supplement it with other things like Brainpop Jr. and videos from Cosmeo. I have been using lessons from http://www.myschoolhouse.com to supplement Time4Learning, too.

From third grade until middle school, science and social studies are very complete and thorough. Remember, it isn't necessary to do EVERY subject EVERY day. You certainly may advance her if you wish, but it's fine to just consider her finished with science for the year if she finishes early.

2. How do we get a star icon to say mastered and not just completed?

Some lesson activities are just for practice of a newly-introduced concept. Their icons will be marked Completed. Other lesson activities are designed to determine mastery. Their icons will be marked Mastered if a score over 70% is obtained.

3. On the reports, why does it say score only in blue?

On the Reports, lesson activities that are only intended for practice of a newly-introduced concept will be marked Score Only. Lesson activities that are designed to determine mastery will be marked Mastered or Not Mastered.

4. Also when I need to send in my daughters grades, (umbrella requirment) what do I print off, or should I just average all the grades for that subject?

You can sort the Reports to suit your needs. The bottom of each Report will show her average, so you do not need to average the scores yourself. You may also print any tests and quizzes that show up as links on her Report. If in doubt about what your umbrella school requires, check with them.

6. also there seems to be so many activities that have a N/A in the score box, is that normal?

Those are practice activities that are not graded. They are interactive activities desiged to teach, not to assess.

7. Are there any other resource's sheets for all subjects or are there just a few of them, just in math

There are several printable resources in first and second grade science. From third grade and up, there are many printables within the science lessons themselves. The student is instructed to print these as he progresses through the lessons.

If you log in as a parent and then click on See Answer Keys and Teaching Guides, you will find a variety of optional printable resources, as well as answer keys to the resources that appear beneath lesson activity icons.

8. is it possible to retake something, and how come the old grade does not drop off?

A student may repeat a lesson activity, quiz, or test as many times as necessary to obtain mastery. It is customary to retain the initial score in a student's grade average. If a student is allowed to re-take a test, a school will seldom replace the first grade with the second score. Often, they average the two and award the average as the test score. Time4Learning merely averages all attempts into the final score.

(For most quizzes and tests, subsequent attempts will be a slightly different test.)

I hope this has helped. Please let us know if you have further questions and, again, welcome!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!