Help!!!

Thread: Help!!!

beulahbreath is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help!!!

Hi, I am new to homeschooling and time4learning. Therefore please overlook any duplicated questions because it really is taking me awhile to find my way around!!! I am having trouble finding out how to plan my daughters' work each day to make sure that she spans it out over 180 days. I have read on the forums the way that Kelly explained about the lesson plans and dividing the number of lessons by the 180 days...but it is just not computing!!! I think I am sooo overwhelmed and this is so new...I am afraid I will do something wrong. We are starting out slowly and would like to gradually build up to more lessons each day. Please help me understand how to make sure she is doing grade level amounts of work...I realize that we can slow down if necessary...maybe this makes sense!!!! Any help is MOST appreciated!! Have a blessed day

Jan

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jan. Welcome to the board. Here's my pep talk for new home schoolers :

Don't be afraid you'll do something wrong. My personal opinion is that it's usually better to start somewhat slowly and then add more as you and your student become accustomed to home schooling.

It's better for her to cover a little bit of material and really understand it than to proceed too quickly, "finish" a year's worth of work, but not retain what she has learned.

Keep in mind that schools all have their own ideas about what should be covered and when. Although there may be similarities, there is no universal course of study. The best schedule is the one that works for you and your daughter.

That said . . . most parents hope their students will complete a grade level per school year in most subjects. Is your daughter doing all four subjects? What grade levels? I can try to give you some specific suggestions, but they will only be suggestions to use as a starting point.

Check out Time4Learning's Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Starting out can be overwhelming. Who else on the board can offer some encouragement to Jan?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ccpeterson is offline Member

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the board and welcome to Homeschooling! Relax....you will eventually find your way. This our 3rd year of homeschooling and I just now feel that we've found our way! It takes time and lots of experimenting to find what will work for your child. Start out slow....if you start to feel it's not enough, increase things just a little bit. You are homeschooling now...you don't have to follow exactly what the school does. As long as your child is 'progressing' that is what is important.

Charity
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Re: Help!!

Jan,

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of homeschooling. Sounds like you are craving some school-like structure, and are finding it difficult to achieve. That is completely normal. Many moms who are new to homeschooling feel a need to "recreate" school at home, and although this is possible, it can be stressful. I would recommend a graduated approach to achieving an expected level of work completion your first year. Some possibilities for you...

**Instead of breaking the lessons into 180 days, break them into subjects per week. For instance: we will work on English 4 days a week, Math 5 days a week, and Science/Social Studies 2 days a week. You didn't mention your daughter's age or grade, but if she is elementary age,you probably only want her at the computer about 3 hours per day. At that rate, whatever she finishes in 180 days will be totally sufficient. You don't have to cover every lesson and every quiz to be successfully homeschooling.

**If you really want to split up the subjects into 180 days, then maybe consider going through the Scope and Sequence and determining which you think are the most important lessons. Cross out the others and focus on splitting up the remaining lessons into 180 days. Then, if you have extra time on a particular day or a particular week, you can simply add in some of the items you had discarded. You might find that you get around to everything after all, but again, don't stress if you don't. Classroom teachers almost never cover everything in their syllabi each year.

**Remember that homeschooling is allowed to be fun, so fit in plenty of read-aloud time, cooking time, field trip, and game time, etc. Allow perhaps an hour a day for your daughter to pursue her own passion - - talk about learning!! This is such an exciting venture for you, and the key is to diversify your learning. Time4Learning does the tough part for you...it is up to you to find and create the fun!!

Kerry

Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

beulahbreath is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks so much for all of your replies!!! My daughter is 11 years old and is in the 6th grade, except for math which is 5th grade. We are slowly exploring things and that has settled us both down quite a bit. I have found that I too need to deschool and restructure my mindset about homeschooling. This is not traditional school and we have to find what works best for her. I am so glad that I found time4learning and this forum. If you have any more ideas I sure would appreciate it!!!! Thanks again

Jan